Mahogany Edison Model A Triumph Phonograph

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
ambrola
Victor IV
Personal Text: Be Careful What You Say, You Can't T ake It Back!

Mahogany Edison Model A Triumph Phonograph

Post by ambrola »

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Mahogany Edison Model A Triumph Phonograph

Post by phonogfp »

It's a beautiful mechanism, and the cabinet appears to be original, but the decal looks a bit odd to me. Maybe it's just the angle... :?

George P.

flashpanblue
Victor III

Post by flashpanblue »

Hello,
A friend of mine emailed the seller and asked if the finish was original. It turns out it was refinished about 29 years ago which was very disappointing.
Pete

ambrola
Victor IV
Personal Text: Be Careful What You Say, You Can't T ake It Back!

Post by ambrola »

flashpanblue wrote:Hello,
A friend of mine emailed the seller and asked if the finish was original. It turns out it was refinished about 29 years ago which was very disappointing.
Pete
That means a new decal? That would kill it for me.

Dave
Victor II
Personal Text: Gramophonist

Post by Dave »

flashpanblue wrote:Hello,
Pete
I don't understand....Why would it have to be "disappointing"?
If the machine has been restored why not accept it for what it is.
Looks very nice to me and i think someone a hundred years from now might be thanking
the person who preserved it...even with imperfections.
In their zeal ...too many purest spoil a lot..In my opinion.

flashpanblue
Victor III

Post by flashpanblue »

Hi Dave,
Mahogany cased Edison machines are very rare. To find a mahogany cased Triumph is even harder. To find one in original condition is very exciting. I was disappointed to learn that it had been refinished. There is a big price difference between a machine that has it's original finish and one that has been refinished. I would also point out that nowhere in the EBay listing is it mentioned that the machine has been refinished. There is a good chance that the bidders on the machine are not even aware of the fact. If these things are not documented in an honest way how will collectors a hundred years from now be able to tell the difference.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

JUST MAYBE... the reason the phonograph was restored in the first place, might have to do with the condition it was found in before restoration. There are many nice examples of restored machines that have been brought back from the dead and preserved. Granted, it would be great to find a warehouse full of NOS machines, still in their original packing crates, but realistically that isn't going to happen. Most machines on the market today have had something done to them in the past 100 years, so who cares?
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Before the "restoration wars/debates" begin... think of it this way - if restored machines are good enough for Jasper SanFillipo, and restored cars are good enough for Jay Leno, where does the snobbery of "untouched" come from? How do you actually know that your "untouched" machine wasn't restored 75 years ago and you can't tell the difference?

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

One more comment: to be absolutely truthful, no one has a machine in "original condition", since no one has one directly from the factory - the condition has definitely changed in 100 years.

Liken this to the statement: "everyone drives a used car"... :)

My Wife

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

Most collectors I know look for original condition machines. Many times they will buy a machine that is 100% original that may have a few flaws over a restored machine that looks like it was made yesterday. I would compare it to classic cars. There are many cars that look amazing in every detail. But yet it is the car that was identified as being original that will bring a much greater price.

Rich Gordon