Schlick Auction

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
miker2001
Victor II

Re: Schlick Auction

Post by miker2001 »

I am a newbie and hope that many of the more 'seasoned' collectors will chime in with their thoughts. I am considering getting a copy of the catalogue along with the results so I will have an idea of the value of some of the offerings.

Damfino59
Victor II

Post by Damfino59 »

This has been an expensive weekend for me.

HMV #32

24" Victor style HMV horn for the HMV 32

EMG VIII

There were some great finds and also some great values. There were at least six items I was interested in but my funding limited me to a laser focus on the above three items.

Now if I can figure out the camera function on this iPad!

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

I didn't watch it live but looked at the final prices tonight. What a wild mix. Seems like most of the better stuff sold more or less on the money, though I thought the Idelia was crazy cheap, and the lever-wind Berliner was very low. I've seen lesser examples sell for twice as much on eBay. On the other side, the Victor B was really high. That was a big surprise (and a pleasant one since mine is much finer).

I thought the 'trombone' horn Berliner would top $20K but it sold at $17K. I also thought the Bell-Tainter K was a little low at only $22K. That's a very rare piece. Also the Standard Polyphone in fancy H&S cabinet. Though that apparently needed work, it was still cheap.

One that seriously interested me, but I didn't pursue because I knew it would go higher than I'd be willing to reach was the Victor JS. But $40K? Wow.

I was not at all surprised by the North American E at $55K but the other 'regular' Class M was a steal.

An awful lot of the collection was very average, and a lot wasn't in very good shape so it's not surprising that a large percentage sold for pretty much wholesale prices. There were definitely bargains, even at the higher end (again, the Idelia -- that one blows my mind).

welshfield
Victor II

Post by welshfield »

We have heard from the investor portion of this forum, but how about those of us who are merely hobbyists and just enjoy having these machines to play? For me at least, the lower the prices the better. Eventually perhaps some of these machines will be in my price class. Personally, if for some highly unlikely circumstance I actually paid $11K for a phonograph, I would be afraid to have anyone touch it and probably would keep it in its own room enclosed in a glass case. Does anyone pay this much for a machine and then play it at a cocktail party for all to enjoy?
John

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

welshfield wrote:We have heard from the investor portion of this forum, but how about those of us who are merely hobbyists and just enjoy having these machines to play? For me at least, the lower the prices the better. Eventually perhaps some of these machines will be in my price class. Personally, if for some highly unlikely circumstance I actually paid $11K for a phonograph, I would be afraid to have anyone touch it and probably would keep it in its own room enclosed in a glass case. Does anyone pay this much for a machine and then play it at a cocktail party for all to enjoy?
John
I certainly would (and do!). I paid a lot of money for my EMG and I play it every day. Guests are more than welcome to play it and any other machine in the house. Why have something if it can't be enjoyed? I realize some collectors would rather own something to have bragging rights but I'm not one of them, if it's in my house and on display, it gets used.

Sean

phonolady
Victor I

Post by phonolady »

To Rich Gordon:

The link to SUNDAY'S auction results did not come up, can you please post again

for the results.
Thanks,
David & Lerria

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

Sorry about that. Here is the link:

http://www.auctionzip.com/aflive.html?m ... I6MXTT7EY1

Rich Gordon

DrRosenthal
Victor Jr

Post by DrRosenthal »

I do not post very frequently, but wanted to share a few comments following the Schlick auction, which I attended only on Saturday.

I met Larry when I was a teenager in the 70's, and had the opportunity to obtain one of his books and visit his home, which was filled with phonographs nearly floor to ceiling in many areas of his large Victorian home. I never really fully appreciated the extent of the collection until I walked into Donley's Auction Gallery and saw everything spread out on tables. Larry was very nice to me when I was a young collector, and always made a fuss when he bumped into me at a local flea market. I recall a time when I had purchased a nice Columbia AA before the sun came up, and as I was walking out to my car I bumped into Larry, who was already packing a pristine AB McDonald in the trunk of his car. It was hard to get the jump on Larry, who networked among the dealers, many of whom put aside phonograph items in anticipation of his arrival.

In any event, I purchased seven lots in the auction, including a nice original Berliner Model IV, which sold for far less than I expected. The auctioneer seemed irritated that the bidding had stalled where it did, and grudgingly sold it to me. As I was removing it from the auction house, along my other purchases, several collectors told me that I had made an excellent buy, and all of them seemed to be somewhat disappointed that they did not buy more.

As to the prices realized, here is what I think happened:

1. The auction staff had to suspend the auction early on because of technical difficulties--this interruption lasted almost a half hour. I think the internet connection might have become interrupted again off and on later on Saturday. I do not know what happened Sunday.

2. There was a fatigue factor which set in fairly early; there were 400 lots on Saturday and the auctioneer was working at a fairly slow pace--this might have been the result of the difficulties with the internet connection.

3. I think many people were rationing their funds in anticipation of making the "big purchase." In so doing, they seemed to miss the flow of things and failed to bid on some rather low-priced machines. I know I should have bought more, but for one reason or another, I did not pull the trigger when I should have.

4. Some of the items had obvious problems when viewed "in person" as to on the internet or in the catalog. Larry often used black tape to cover up defects and attach components. Many of the machines were not complete, and some were even misidentified in the catalog. To the auctioneer's credit, he did note where the catalog listing and the actual item did not match up.

Overall, though, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and was happy I made the effort to attend the auction in person. I had a chance to visit with Patricia, Larry's widow, as well as his lovely daughters. I have already moved items around in my rather modest collection to incorporate the items I purchased, and they all look great.

I have tried to attach some photos--not sure if they will appear or not :?
Attachments
attachments.zip
(3.62 MiB) Downloaded 138 times

Schlick
Victor II

Post by Schlick »

I'm Larry's son, Michael, and I had such a great time at the auction!! Thank you all for those who attended in person and on-line!!

I agree with some here: Was surprised but not shocked by the price of the Idelia and would have liked to see some other select items go for more [and I had nothing to gain financially]. But, that being said, if you knew my dad you knew how much he loved finding the bargain! So all in all, he was honored either way. He knew the joy of getting a "steal" (and I really hope some of you got something you'll be thrilled to tell how 'little' you paid - I know my father loved to tell those stories!) and he really liked the idea of owning something of great value.

The best part for me was getting to meet those who bought pieces, large and small ($?), and getting to wish them all the fun my father and our family had gotten out of owning them.

(And I have to confess the computer feed seemed to go a LOT better after I had my son [Larry's grandson] shut off his Kindle's wifi!! But I haven't had the guts to tell the Donleys yet :oops:. I'm sad to hear some were having such mixed experiences on line.)

For all the buyers: Enjoy. Enjoy!!

-Michael Schlick

(Shameless advertising: And there's more to come from Larry's collection this Fall!)

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

I had a great time at the auction and was able to bring home some treasures. I was fortunate enough to get a very nice Johnson C with the extended horn setup, a Johnson M with a Berliner reproducer, a Victor II with a small smooth wood horn, a late Victor D with a very scarce black paper mache' horn, along with some other loose horns and misc. I was very lucky to have known Larry for over 32 years. He always welcomed fellow collectors and shared his vast knowledge of phonographs and other collectables. He had several interests but phonographs were his passion. He has inspired many of us in this crazy hobby. It was truly amazing to see the layout of his collection at the auction. I was able to see the collection at his home a few times and couldn't believe all of it was stored and displayed in his large attic. The Donnelys took every effort to preserve how the phonographs were prior to removing them from his home. Some of the machines didn't have all the correct parts on them but that was the way Larry bought them and displayed them. Over all the Donnelys did a very good job considering the amount of work it took. The next auction in October will be also amazing. Larry had a very extensive collection of ephemera related to phonographs and many extra parts. This will also be a two day auction to go through that part of the collection.

Larry will surely be missed!!!
Ken Brekke