Post by Dave »

eBay Item #231272923397
Needs lots of love.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: Phonolamp

Post by alang »

I don't think it's that bad, at least it seems fairly complete. Of course the price is a deterrent for me.

Andreas

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

the seller (coinopwarehouse) also has a Victor Schoolhouse machine up for auction $3500 BIN...

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Just an FYI- I know this seller personally. Have done business with him on and off for at least 25 years. He's a good guy. I've always felt he was very honest in our dealings. Has nearly 11,000 positive feedbacks--

Brad Abell

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

I'll second what Brad said. Lloyd is a great guy, I've bought several jukeboxes and related stuff from him over the years.

Sean

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

As someone who recently restored two Fairy Phonograph lamps I would greatly suggest finding out whether the motor works in this machine. It not only needs a lot of TLC, but may also need expensive motor repair. A motor rebuild may run $900 or more, if you can find someone to rebuild it and the shade needs some major straightening... Replacing the glass in the shade is no big deal, but the mechanical and wiring issues may be a nightmare. Plus it may quality as one of the ugliest phono lamps ever produced...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

$900 to rebuild a motor?? Did they also gold plate everything when it was done? :lol: Seriously, I located a guy in Texas who completely rebuilt the electric motor in my EMG for $40, I was expecting the cost to be a few hundred. He replaced all the faulty, crumbling wiring with fresh new stuff and did some other repairs. He can also rewind coils and just about anything else you'd need done if necessary for very reasonable rates. If anyone needs his contact info, feel free to PM me.

Sean

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Sean,
Whoever you found to repair your motor is an absolute bargain. I had quotes that were as high as $900 to rewind the motor and commutator and finally found someone who could do it for $450. Most of the motor repair guys I found either didn't want to mess with it or didn't know how to repair early motors... I wish I had posted this before, so you could have sent me the guy's name in Texas... The Fairy motors appeared to be Universal motors from the 1920 era and were an odd size...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

I will pull his contact info from my files at home and post it in the "links" section. He's a collector like us and a great guy to deal with. I was prepared to pay much more than I had to and delighted with his work and fast turn around time. My motor probably runs better than new now. I've got a Victor XVI with a Universal motor in storage I'm hoping to send him at some point to be gone through.

Sean

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

OrthoSean wrote:I will pull his contact info from my files at home and post it in the "links" section. He's a collector like us and a great guy to deal with. I was prepared to pay much more than I had to and delighted with his work and fast turn around time. My motor probably runs better than new now. I've got a Victor XVI with a Universal motor in storage I'm hoping to send him at some point to be gone through.

Sean
Sean, does he work on Class M motors? I just paid $850 to have one fixed (and no rewinding). :)

George P.