Post by Dave »

eBay Item #311003277245
Exactly how "rare" is this machine :?:

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Re: Victrola: VV-350

Post by phonogal »

Dave, It's not very common. There were only about 880 made. I posted a question about the data plate in machines as I had read the serial numbers ranged from 501 thru 1381. The data plate on this one clearly is marked 1798.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

I'll agree they aren't common, but I can recall at least five of these for sale in the last few years. 880 made can't be quite correct. If this one is #1798, then at least 1297 were made if serial numbers started at #501, no? Maybe 1300 were made and this is one of the very last, though, which would be rather cool!

I've always thought these were great looking machines, I still regret passing one up in Connecticut a couple of years ago that was on either Craigslist or eBay, but at the time I just couldn't justify it.

Sean

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

OrthoSean wrote:I'll agree they aren't common, but I can recall at least five of these for sale in the last few years. 880 made can't be quite correct. If this one is #1798, then at least 1297 were made if serial numbers started at #501, no? Maybe 1300 were made and this is one of the very last, though, which would be rather cool!

I've always thought these were great looking machines, I still regret passing one up in Connecticut a couple of years ago that was on either Craigslist or eBay, but at the time I just couldn't justify it.

Sean
Sean, When I looked at the data plate on my machine and the one that is on this machine, I noticed the serial number on my machine matches the model number in style and font. The serial number on the machine on Ebay is different. Maybe this is common? I don't know.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Gotcha. I have seen different fonts or typesets as you mention and hadn't thought of that. Interesting, nonetheless! I'd be interested to hear what others have to say about this.

Sean

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

OrthoSean wrote:Gotcha. I have seen different fonts or typesets as you mention and hadn't thought of that. Interesting, nonetheless! I'd be interested to hear what others have to say about this.

Sean
Me too. Jan

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

It is curious. According to the VDB, there were 878 VV-350s and 1,159 VE-350s, each with serial numbers starting at 501.

Here is the plate from the listing.

Clay
Attachments
$_57.jpg
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

phonogal
Victor IV

Post by phonogal »

FloridaClay wrote:It is curious. According to the VDB, there were 878 VV-350s and 1,159 VE-350s, each with serial numbers starting at 501.

Here is the plate from the listing.

Clay
Clay, According to LFTD, there were 880 VV-350's and only 159 VE-350's. Don't know what's right. Here is a picture of my data plate.
Attachments
vv350 002.JPG
vv350 002.JPG (41.53 KiB) Viewed 1248 times