What's this?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

What's this?

Post by epigramophone »

This looks like an unholy alliance between a crapophone and a wedding cake, but the catalogue illustration appears genuine......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321681572660? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Bruce
Victor III

Re: What's this?

Post by Bruce »

That is a lot of work if it is somebodies recent creation.

Either way it is a spectacular machine and will make an amazing centre piece in any collection.

Bruce

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I was extremely doubtful - and then the catalog picture appeared. It could be over-restored, or a fantasy made with genuine parts, but it's certainly not the usual crsap

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

From the catalog description, it looks like the real deal... a pimped out Russian Victor VI
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

It doesn't look like any recent concoction and it certainly could have been made for a Czar. Considering the fantastic Faberge eggs and other luxuries that were made for the Romanov family, this would not be out of line. If this was made for them, they only had a short time to enjoy it, since they were executed in March 1917, and this certainly would have been saved by someone. The motor is well made and looks specifically designed for this machine...
Attachments
5dcd317100118ce75317931d.jpeg
145b709e00267238531792b4.jpeg
0726fa8e000721d653179425.jpeg
3996451e0022ffa953179379.jpeg
bcf12eb6000d83df53275a50.jpeg
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I started this thread with an open mind, but now agree that the machine is probably genuine although over restored.

Components which would originally have been nickel or possibly gold plated appear to have been chromed.

The soundbox looks like a 1930's Paillard Maestrophonic.

The brass plaque on the base has been glued on, leaving the mounting holes vacant.

The horn may or may not be original to the machine. It does not match the catalogue illustration, but manufacturers frequently offered alternative horns at extra cost.

It would be useful to have a translation of the catalogue description. Are there any Russian speakers amongst our membership?

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

I like that he shows countless pictures from the same angle, but avoids showing the inside with the motor in it. Also no view of the rear of the machine IIRC. With that many pictures and the price expectation i would expect to see a machine from all sides, top and bottom, inside out. So it could be the real deal, or it could be only parts of it. The seller should take a look at listings from Raphael or Firebottles about how to present a high value machine.

It also concerns me a bit that it seems that the horn has to be held up for the photographs.

Andreas

US PHONO
Victor II

Post by US PHONO »

And it has to be personally picked up in Poland.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I think it's a mix of parts. The machine looks similar to the catalog. The back bracket is a nickel plated HMV product. If that's the case, then the motor should be an HMV/Victor product. Since the motor is a Palliard??, I think the it was swapped. I'd love to see the inside of the case. That's my take on this.
Harvey Kravitz

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Bruce, How difficult would it be to take the machine out of Poland? When we visited, I got the impression that it was very difficult to remove antiquities because Poland had been pillaged many times in history and authorities were reluctant to give up historical items. Jerry B.