Edison 4M wax record #32 N****r Loves His Possum

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Henry
Victor V

Re: Edison 4M wax record #32 [n****r] Loves His Possum

Post by Henry »

May we assume that "Dresser" on the attribution line is indeed Paul Dresser, brother of Theodore Dreiser (original family name) the writer, and composer/lyricist of "On the Banks of the Wabash, Far Away"?

That's a somewhat more worthy subject for popular song than others we could mention :roll:

P.S. Here's the wiki on Paul: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Dresser. He seems a rather stout fellow!

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

There are a number of very collectible records, which by today's (or any day's) standards should be considered offensive but interesting. One of the rarest and most expensive examples is a German Patria picture disc with a photo of Hitler. There are also German propaganda records by Charley and His Orchestra, which are demeaning to every civilized person, especially those of Jewish background... Very interesting to listen to and learn from...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

PeterF
Victor IV

Re: Edison 4M wax record #32 N----r Loves His Possum

Post by PeterF »

It takes no effort to obscure the "n-word" - and one is not "deleting history" (or whatever rationalization one wants to use) by doing so.

It's not a matter of political correctness, it's a matter of good manners.

Henry
Victor V

Re: Edison 4M wax record #32 N----r Loves His Possum

Post by Henry »

PeterF wrote:It takes no effort to obscure the "n-word" - and one is not "deleting history" (or whatever rationalization one wants to use) by doing so.

It's not a matter of political correctness, it's a matter of good manners.
"Amen" to that!

edisonphonoworks
Victor IV
Personal Text: A new blank with authentic formula and spiral core!

Post by edisonphonoworks »

Political Correctness is the Democratic party sweeping it's roots under the rug. And these records I consider the "rap" music of the late 19th and early 20th century, same situations and subjects, you could take the lyrics from these songs, and put a rap beat to them and nobody would be offended, and enough time has passed the public would gobble it up as a new hit.... very unfortunate, but true. It is history, as it was, unedited, by the people of the time. I notice the collector community picks and chooses the history it wants to promote. The more popular music of that time period, being the hymns, sentimental songs, ragtime. The Collector community really is not interested in the popular culture of the time, of what they actually listened to. However the collector community makes it look like "Jass", and "Jazz" were the only music the public was interested in. As we all know the "jazz" genre is the hard one to find, and blues, because it was not the popular majority music at that time. It is though fortunate we have preserved Jass and blues as it is interesting and rare, however it is taboo to bring the above point up. Do I find those records with the N word offensive, yes I do, however the songs and skits, from a quality of writing standpoint and historical significance, and reference to the time, is of vital importance.

Hit of the Week
Victor I

Post by Hit of the Week »

TinfoilPhono wrote:I never set out to collect such records but I accumulated quite a lot of them over the years, especially back in the 60s when I would typically get dozens (or even hundreds) of records with every phonograph I sold. I have one shelf in my half-barrel which houses them all together. I rarely play them but every once in a blue moon I find someone who is seriously interested in cultural history, and I will play a couple of them. People are astonished by how crude they are by today's standards. I always point out that it's a good sign of how far we have come in the past century.

I also have a small collection of WWI songs that have their own dedicated shelf. Those are also culturally fascinating. A few years ago I spent part of an evening playing some for a history teacher at the school where my wife worked. She was blown away by the way the songs evolved -- from hyper-patriotic songs like "America, Here's My Boy" to "I Didn't Raise My Boy to Be a Soldier." It is a very telling progression that shows how the home front soured on the war as the casualties rose.

All of these records, even the most benign and maudlin tunes, are part of our history and should be appreciated for that.
My thoughts also!

Dale

Gatyam
Victor I

Post by Gatyam »

It seems that today's popular pastime is looking for something to be offended by. Too bad.

oldtvsandtoys
Victor II
Personal Text: Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk.........Why Soitenly

Re: Edison 4M wax record #32 N****r Loves His Possum

Post by oldtvsandtoys »

Gatyam wrote:It seems that today's popular pastime is looking for something to be offended by. Too bad.
Best statement I have heard so far. Before long someone will be offended by the n-word or n****r. Where does it stop? I say if you don't like the name of the record don't buy it.
Last edited by oldtvsandtoys on Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Thanks very much for editing the title of this thread.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Thanks for the edit. Jerry Blais