Columbia Model 230

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Columbia Model 230

Post by epigramophone »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382085644338? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Here is yet another of those overseas Columbia portables which were never catalogued in the UK, and about which little written information exists. This one has two raised strips inside the lid, and as they appear to be beneath the original case covering material it is likely that they are original, but what purpose do they serve?

Unfortunately the outer case is in poor condition with areas of the covering missing, so I will resist the temptation to bid on this one.

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Columbia Model 230

Post by Phono48 »

I've been wondering about those two strips in the lid for a couple of days, and the only conclusion I can come to is that this is one of those machines where records are stored on the tall centre spindle, and there was originally a large sprung metal arm in the lid that kept them in place when the lid was closed. The two strips maybe also have served as record supports when the machine was on it's side ? If there was a sprung arm in the lid it has gone the same way as the original lid clasp, where all that remains is a gaping hole!

It's a shame about the condition, because I collect these "Colonial" Columbias, and haven't seen this one before, but it's a bit too far gone to restore.

Barry