12jslater
Victor II

what in all that is Holy?

Post by 12jslater »

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: what in all that is Holy?

Post by Phono48 »

Same seller who advertised the brass No.4 soundbox with the stripped back a couple of days ago. I wonder how the "someone" who fitted the mica diaphragm managed to attach the stylus bar to the centre? Probably best we don't know. He could have finished the job, though, and touched up those mangled screw heads!

Looking at it from a different angle though, No.5 diaphragms are like hen's teeth, so rather than having the soundbox redundant, any diaphragm would at least bring it back to working condition, and as it's fitted with the rubber isolator from a No.4 box, it could sound ok on a machine originally fitted with the No.4, I suppose.......

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: what in all that is Holy?

Post by gramophone-georg »

Phono48 wrote:Same seller who advertised the brass No.4 soundbox with the stripped back a couple of days ago. I wonder how the "someone" who fitted the mica diaphragm managed to attach the stylus bar to the centre? Probably best we don't know. He could have finished the job, though, and touched up those mangled screw heads!

Looking at it from a different angle though, No.5 diaphragms are like hen's teeth, so rather than having the soundbox redundant, any diaphragm would at least bring it back to working condition, and as it's fitted with the rubber isolator from a No.4 box, it could sound ok on a machine originally fitted with the No.4, I suppose.......
I don't know but I've bought from this seller before and never been displeased. I may try it out!
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek