Horned Columbia

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
dutchman
Victor IV

Horned Columbia

Post by dutchman »

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/atq/6185905918.html

If I knew enough about this Columbia I could definitely get excited about it......

Bill K

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Horned Columbia

Post by Curt A »

What do you need to know? It's a great machine for $850... If I lived anywhere nearby, I would be excited about it, especially since they would probably entertain offers (the included records suck).
Attachments
01111_6iIybG55ee_1200x900.jpg
00v0v_d79nHIQ1h1c_1200x900.jpg
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Hi Bill-

Machine is a Columbia BI- Looks to be in nice shape-- however, the horn is not correct-- The BI, aka "Sterling" came with a 9 panel nickle plated horn. The horn on this machine looks pretty nice, but is smaller than the correct horn for the BI. Also--The BI's I've had, have all had the Analyzing Reproducer and different tonearm. The reproducer and tonearm on this machine is a bit later--- I'm not sure if they overlapped with the BI or not-- They did show up on the later BII machine.
I suspect Harvey can set us straight..

Brad Abell

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Brad, you are right about the nine panel nickeled horn being normal, but the horn shown looks like a Columbia horn that was nickel plated then decorated... something similar to Victor horns that were done that way... It may be eight panel for just that reason, since a nine panel wouldn't come out symmetrically with an alternating design... Who knows?

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

outune wrote:Hi Bill-

Machine is a Columbia BI- Looks to be in nice shape-- however, the horn is not correct-- The BI, aka "Sterling" came with a 9 panel nickle plated horn. The horn on this machine looks pretty nice, but is smaller than the correct horn for the BI. Also--The BI's I've had, have all had the Analyzing Reproducer and different tonearm. The reproducer and tonearm on this machine is a bit later--- I'm not sure if they overlapped with the BI or not-- They did show up on the later BII machine.
I suspect Harvey can set us straight..

Brad Abell
Curt A I rest my case. :lol: :lol: The horn on the machine looked too small to me as well, but I'm sure I could learn to love it........Cheers

Bill K

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Yes, it's definitely a Columbia BI. The horn looks like the paint was stripped off, and highly polished. This was a client horn like for the Standard, Harmony, etc. These small horns were never nickle plated.The flowers look like some rub on transfers that you get at an arts & crafts store. The back bracket was used on the very late BI or a BII. It's a very valuable part. The turntable is wrong. It should be a flat cast iron 10" one. This machine may or not have the turntable ring. If you are able to contact the owner, ask to see if there are 4 holes where the turntable ring would mount. This is an early BI because of the decals and handle. For $850.00, I would pass. To get the correct parts will cost a fortune. If I were you, be patient until a correct example comes your way. These are fairly common machines. Good luck with your search.
Harvey Kravitz

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Harvey,

You find deals that no one else seems to be able to come up with... In my area, that machine at $850 looks like a deal. Whether the horn is original or not, it is a nice machine that looks good as is and I wouldn't mind having it, although I am not a purist admittedly. Where else can you find a BI for less than $1,000?

My Wife

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I'm not exactly a purist either. But I have seen enough Columbia machines to know what goes with what. I like to get my machines as close to original as possible. But with this machine, by the time you get the correct parts and that pesky turntable ring, you'll have about $1000.00 into it. If you can get that machine for maybe $600.00 or $700.00 tops, then it would be worth it.
Harvey Kravitz