1898 Edison Home Phono

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Amberolaguys
Victor Jr

1898 Edison Home Phono

Post by Amberolaguys »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOVELY-1898-EDI ... Sw8d5ZSxQf

Seems like a good deal. Would this play brown wax cylinders?

The only thing I find strange about this is that the reproducer's arm is labeled "recorder" and the fact there's a blue amberol on the mandrel.

krkey1
Victor I
Personal Text: Kris

Re: 1898 Edison Home Phono

Post by krkey1 »

Amberolaguys wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOVELY-1898-EDI ... Sw8d5ZSxQf

Seems like a good deal. Would this play brown wax cylinders?

The only thing I find strange about this is that the reproducer's arm is labeled "recorder" and the fact there's a blue amberol on the mandrel.
The machine would probably play brown wax but the reproducer will not play much of anything as it is meant to record music,not play it.Hence the name recorder

He had to put something on the mandrel, why not a blue amberol :)

RolandVV-360
Victor II
Personal Text: The Finest Gift of All!

Post by RolandVV-360 »

That's something no one could ever change about some sellers and/or owners. They have little to no idea on what the machine is and how to operate it, and what the machine does. And they are often oblivious to the writing on the machine. I've seen people advertising Meissner Record Lathes as inoperable because they were trying to play a record with the recording arm. I know we've all seen the seller listing the sound quality as poor and in need of repair on a Diamond Disc player because they were playing lateral 78s with a Diamond Disc Reproducer! :lol: :lol: :lol:
PHONOGRAPH, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises. -Ambrose Bierce

-Roland

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Also, there is another detail. The base cabinet is missing the base board that goes underneath. You will have to find a loose one or a whole bottom case. Also, if you get this you might have a woodworker make you one. If it were me, I would be patient and wait for a better example.
Harvey Kravitz

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

Personally I think it's way over priced. The machine has many issues. Case has been overcoated and i don't think it the original top. It also looks like the base board is missing or heavily modified. The bedplate looks very worn and missing most of the pin striping. Also as mentioned it has a recorder on it not an Automatic Reproducer. I would put the value at a little over half what the asking price is.

This to me is what a nice Home Suitcase should look like.

Rich Gordon
Attachments
IMG_4385.JPG

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Phonofreak wrote:Also, there is another detail. The base cabinet is missing the base board that goes underneath. You will have to find a loose one or a whole bottom case. Also, if you get this you might have a woodworker make you one. If it were me, I would be patient and wait for a better example.
Harvey Kravitz
I am with Harvey I would look for another one especially with that price. I know it says make offer but the amount of money you will have to put in it to look and play like a normal suite case home model A will be high and possible well over $300.00 Tom B

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

I agree with the others - pass on that machine. Too expensive for what it is. That is indeed a recorder and it would chew up a wax cylinder on the first attempt to play.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

At $850 BIN, you can do much better for the price, I think.

Best,
Fran

Pictures for posterity:
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (11).jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600 (5).jpg
s-l1600 (6).jpg
s-l1600 (8).jpg
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

I paid less than that for mine and the bedplate, decal, and finish are nearly perfect. I'd definitely move on unless that machine was about half the price like Rich said.