HMV 163

Post links to auctions and classifieds here

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Re: HMV 163

Post by brianu »

is posting a photo or two from the auction really that difficult (to prevent this thread from becoming useless once the auction page expires)?

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

brianu wrote:is posting a photo or two from the auction really that difficult (to prevent this thread from becoming useless once the auction page expires)?
Go for it Brianu

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The only exceptional thing about this 163 is the price, which is far too high.

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

I agree - makes the £50 I paid for mine in a junk shop a couple of months ago seem very reasonable !

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Capture.JPG
2Capture.JPG
3Capture.JPG
What would a more realistic asking price be? I've only come across two in the SF Bay area in the past 30 years and I remember that they were priced in the $800 range. The last one I spotted was about 20 years ago.

I gather from posts on this forum and other places that, in spite of the six foot (metal) re-entrant tone chamber, they do not compare favorably with the Credenza, which has a six foot horn, albeit made of wood.

OrthoFan

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

OrthoFan wrote:What would a more realistic asking price be? I've only come across two in the SF Bay area in the past 30 years and I remember that they were priced in the $800 range. The last one I spotted was about 20 years ago.

I gather from posts on this forum and other places that, in spite of the six foot (metal) re-entrant tone chamber, they do not compare favorably with the Credenza, which has a six foot horn, albeit made of wood.

OrthoFan
I've owned mine for 10 years ($500), and it sounds pretty darned good comparing to the Credenza (I have had my VE8-30x since 1999). It can certainly fill the room with sound. I also have a VV8-9 to compare to as well, again the 163 is a very good performer. Similar performance between the three machines.

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

I sold one on Ebay for £850 earlier this year !