Re: Rough and Cheap

Post by ts_13 »

Is that a correct victor horn?

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

ts_13 wrote:Is that a correct victor horn?
No... and the cabinet looks homemade.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

ts_13
Victor II

Post by ts_13 »

Curt A wrote:
ts_13 wrote:Is that a correct victor horn?
No... and the cabinet looks homemade.

Looked like a Columbia horn, but I wasnt sure.... I am a novice.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

This is a late Victor I. It's an all original machine except for the horn and elbow. The horn and elbow is for a Columbia client machine. This late Victor I uses the slip in elbow with the slot cut out from the top of the elbow. The horn is a 17" diameter bell with the large end to fit into the bigger elbow. Hope fully, it will go cheap and be a good start for an unusual machine.
Harvey Kravitz

ts_13
Victor II

Post by ts_13 »

Phonofreak wrote:This is a late Victor I. It's an all original machine except for the horn and elbow. The horn and elbow is for a Columbia client machine. This late Victor I uses the slip in elbow with the slot cut out from the top of the elbow. The horn is a 17" diameter bell with the large end to fit into the bigger elbow. Hope fully, it will go cheap and be a good start for an unusual machine.
Harvey Kravitz

There you go! Nice. It would be a cool project!

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Harvey, I agree that the backmount is from a Victor I, but something looks suspect about the case, particularly the bottom molding as shown in the second picture. It could be just the blurry picture or that molding has been stripped and sanded or the molding was re-made... Just my opinion. It might be original, but the ID tag doesn't appear to be attached as original - maybe it was removed to strip the case and the stamped ID is not discernible.

I took a second look and the molding appears to be the correct profile, but still looks sanded to bare wood. The other thing that looks strange is the turntable... it's too large for a Vic I.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Curt,In late 1908-early 1909, Victor changed the Victor I styling. The case was larger to hold the new style motor. The case was enlarged to 12"x 12". The style molding for this late case is correct. The late Victor II and III, used pretty much the same style molding on the bottom of the case.The 1908-09 version used the 8" turntable. By 1910, Victor stopped using the bullet brake and used the abbreviated tab brake similar to the early Victor I. Except this brake was fitted to the bottom of the turntable, and not for the beveled one. By this time, Victor used the 10" pressed steel turntable like what was used for the later Vic II, III, and IV. These turntables were used for the early Victrola IV, VI, and VIII. The early Victrolas used parts from the later horned machines. The later back brackets used the same tone arms as the early Victrolas. These larger bracket and arms were used in the late Victor I and II. The slip in elbow was larger like the Victor II.Also, the same as the Victor O. However the O used a smaller length elbow. I'll agree the pictures are pretty bad, and in very rough condition. The ID tag style is correct, but I can't make out the numbers. If someone is local to the area, that would be a good buy. With the shipping quote of $2.67. and 0 feedback, I would be skeptical. I hope I didn't ramble on too much.
Harvey Kravitz
Curt A wrote:Harvey, I agree that the backmount is from a Victor I, but something looks suspect about the case, particularly the bottom molding as shown in the second picture. It could be just the blurry picture or that molding has been stripped and sanded or the molding was re-made... Just my opinion. It might be original, but the ID tag doesn't appear to be attached as original - maybe it was removed to strip the case and the stamped ID is not discernible.

I took a second look and the molding appears to be the correct profile, but still looks sanded to bare wood. The other thing that looks strange is the turntable... it's too large for a Vic I.

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

Look like VIC-1 w/serial # 24741.. indicating a possible Vic. I type "C"

In the Data Book, the type "C" states "taper elbow fitted into arm bracket" first shipped Aug 13, 1910. It did have a 10" Pressed steel turntable and the serial numbers ran from 13500 up to 28399. Seems to be on the money.

Blizz
Attachments
vic1.jpg
vic1.jpg (220.25 KiB) Viewed 1095 times