$ 50000 record player.

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
tomb
Victor IV

$ 50000 record player.

Post by tomb »

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/atq ... 02586.html
I think this might be a little overpriced, but maybe n ot since it is so old. Tom B

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: $ 50000 record player.

Post by Curt A »

Some people are totally insane...

"Perfectrola" Original 1916 Phonograph for Sale - $50000 :lol:

KEEP READING FOR COMMENTS ABOUT PRICE
For sale here is an original 1916 vintage phonograph. The company that made it called it the "Perfectrola". This is the model F version. (Bottom of the Perfectrola line) :roll:
What I have is number 286 on the list at this link, https://www.antiquephono.org/brand-talk ... j-wakeman/

PRICING: I have priced it at it's current level because I have been unable to find this model for sale on Ebay, Amazon, Craigslist, or literally anywhere on the internet after a few hours of googling. Models like the Victor phonographs were more popular than obscure models like this which had the same functionality. There are several Victors (and parts) for sale on Ebay, and some on Amazon as well when I looked.

My phonograph's company patented the phonograph. I am basing the price on its rarity, the fact that a patent was used to make this at a time when Edison was a competitor, and the fact that it is 100 years old and still intact and functional. If you have reasons to counter my price, we can talk.

I have a hand-written, legally binding statement/document, signed by the previous owner, stating that this is real, composed of original parts/materials, and fully functional.

PHONOGRAPH DETAILS:
Company: Milwaukee Talking Machine Manufacturing Company, 416 Fourth Street, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. January 1916 TMW
Condition:
-The fabric that is the screen behind the front wood patterned design is detached, but it is original and can be refurbished back onto the vintage-piece.
-There are various scratches, areas of chipped wood, and general signs of years of use and wear and tear. However, all parts are original (as per the previous owner's signed statement), and the phonograph and stand and operate as if it just came out of the factory.
-The metal parts also show signs of wear, but their integrity allows them to be used as originally designed.
-Message me for pictures or details!

-I can send pictures to anyone who is interested, and I also have a video of the phonograph working.
-Extra: I have a collection of records as well that can be played on the phonograph. If you are interested, I can talk to you about selling those separately.
Attachments
00Q0Q_cBBaN21okxw_1200x900.jpg
00Q0Q_cBBaN21okxw_1200x900.jpg (20.82 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
00g0g_8SDrgVIkue2_1200x900.jpg
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I think the seller is off by three zeros. :lol: :roll:
Harvey Kravitz

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

tomb wrote:https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/atq ... 02586.html
I think this might be a little overpriced, but maybe n ot since it is so old. :lol: :lol: :lol: Tom B
Tom, you are joking... right?
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

I thought he missed the decimal point on the price but I believe he feels he has an expensive part of history. I do not know the value but it could not be worth more than a thousand dollars. I wonder haw many inquiries he has received ??... :lol: :P :roll: :?:

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

There are a lot of people in a lot of hobbies who don't realize that rarity doesn't automatically translate to demand or value.

That may be a rare machine in terms of surviving numbers, but no one cares. Just because he can't find anything on Google or eBay doesn't mean he has the Holy Grail.

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

Man I have my Humanola priced way too low... :D

Bill K

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

TinfoilPhono wrote:There are a lot of people in a lot of hobbies who don't realize that rarity doesn't automatically translate to demand or value.

That may be a rare machine in terms of surviving numbers, but no one cares. Just because he can't find anything on Google or eBay doesn't mean he has the Holy Grail.
On Saturday I attended a local charity "informal antique appraisal", hosted by a local experienced dealer. One of the points he continually tried to drive home, was that rarity or age doesn't equate value. I honestly didn't get the impression that others at the event were listening. He used examples of eBay listed prices vs. actual sold prices to make his point. Still, too many people only want to hear what they want to hear.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

I've pretty much given up educating the public, it usually just ends up frustrating me.

A recent exchange with an eBay user trying to sell RCA-Victor records for $199 that we probably all have in our junk bins in the basement:

Me:
Just a friendly bit of advice as a lifelong record collector - all of the 78s you have listed for $70-$200 are worth a couple of dollars a piece. Most collectors give away the later Victor re-issues like the one I'm sending this message about. Not interested in buying, but thought you should know - they will never sell for more than a few bucks, maybe up to $10 if someone just had to have it, but unlikely.
Them
There is a Victor record that just sold for $1500: Victor 21664 FURY LEWIS Kassie Jones Memphis 28' 78 rpm V+/E- CLASSIC Blues

$1,525.00
7 bids
Me:
Not everything is equally valuable.

For example: 1930 Duesenberg Model J vs. 1930 Ford Model A. $1.2M vs. $10k

Same with records. Some are worth $40k. Most are worth a few bucks.

Anyway. Not trying to start an argument. Just thought I'd save you endless listing fees, because these records aren't worth a lot of money and often can be found in charity shops and the discard boxes of serious collectors.

Best of luck.
Them
Question: Why are you a lifelong record collector if they are basically worthless? 'Same with records. Some are worth $40k. Most are worth a few bucks.' Why didn't you include that information with your first comment?
Me:
Forget I said anything...
Them
Good idea

If anyone wants to scoop all of these up for a fantastic deal, here you go....

http://stores.ebay.com/OOLEVOO/Records- ... 8999496018

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Sometimes there's a reason why things are rare; nobody wanted them then either.

Was at a 78rpm, "jazz record spin" some years back. A collector brought along one of his prized records, explaining how extremely rare it is, and how much he had to pay for it. Wow, couldn't wait to hear it. Once I had heard it, I knew why it was rare: It was terrible! I know that's not always the case, especially with obscure jazz/blues records, but still, it was a lesson learned.

To the potential seller of this "holy grail" of phonographs, the potential buyer will be even more scarce.