$ 50000 record player.

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
dutchman
Victor IV

Re: $ 50000 record player.

Post by dutchman »

HisMastersVoice wrote:I've pretty much given up educating the public, it usually just ends up frustrating me.
I had some friends visit and after my little tour they wanted to organize an intervention. :cry:

Bill K

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

HisMastersVoice wrote:I've pretty much given up educating the public, it usually just ends up frustrating me.

A recent exchange with an eBay user trying to sell RCA-Victor records for $199 that we probably all have in our junk bins in the basement:

Me:
Just a friendly bit of advice as a lifelong record collector - all of the 78s you have listed for $70-$200 are worth a couple of dollars a piece. Most collectors give away the later Victor re-issues like the one I'm sending this message about. Not interested in buying, but thought you should know - they will never sell for more than a few bucks, maybe up to $10 if someone just had to have it, but unlikely.
Them
There is a Victor record that just sold for $1500: Victor 21664 FURY LEWIS Kassie Jones Memphis 28' 78 rpm V+/E- CLASSIC Blues

$1,525.00
7 bids
Me:
Not everything is equally valuable.

For example: 1930 Duesenberg Model J vs. 1930 Ford Model A. $1.2M vs. $10k

Same with records. Some are worth $40k. Most are worth a few bucks.

Anyway. Not trying to start an argument. Just thought I'd save you endless listing fees, because these records aren't worth a lot of money and often can be found in charity shops and the discard boxes of serious collectors.

Best of luck.
Them
Question: Why are you a lifelong record collector if they are basically worthless? 'Same with records. Some are worth $40k. Most are worth a few bucks.' Why didn't you include that information with your first comment?
Me:
Forget I said anything...
Them
Good idea

If anyone wants to scoop all of these up for a fantastic deal, here you go....

http://stores.ebay.com/OOLEVOO/Records- ... 8999496018
WOW- I'm RICH!!! :D
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Benjamin_L
Victor III
Personal Text: Honk, honk.

Post by Benjamin_L »

I've never paid more than $250 for an off-brand. I think everyone would agree that 90% of lower end off-brands are worth just a couple hundred.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Benjamin_L wrote:I've never paid more than $250 for an off-brand. I think everyone would agree that 90% of lower end off-brands are worth just a couple hundred.

10%

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

JerryVan wrote:
Benjamin_L wrote:I've never paid more than $250 for an off-brand. I think everyone would agree that 90% of lower end off-brands are worth just a couple hundred.

10%
I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT SOMETHING IS WORTH ONLY WHAT SOMEONE WILL PAY FOR IT. As said above you can ask $ 1000 but if someone is only going to give you $ 100 than that is its worth at that time. I can not figure out how he came up with $ 50000. He did not check any sources for the price. He is getting some free advertising though and good laugh for us. Tom B

Benjamin_L
Victor III
Personal Text: Honk, honk.

Post by Benjamin_L »

Well, he listed it on eBay and dropped the price by a bit, but still way too much.

(http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfectrola-Pho ... Sw9LJZkMPK)

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Benjamin_L wrote:Well, he listed it on eBay and dropped the price by a bit, but still way too much.

Wow, he's really taking a beating.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

$1,799.00 Economy Shipping
:shock:

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Benjamin_L wrote:Well, he listed it on eBay and dropped the price by a bit, but still way too much.

Wow, that's a 98% price reduction in one step. Still 4 times the potential max value. Better not use the shipping option...

Andreas

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

That shipping must include the cost of the two armed guards and armored truck to guard it. It is to valuable to not be guarded ..Seems reasonable to me... :lol: Tom B