Real or Reproduction?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Real or Reproduction?

Post by gramophone-georg »

Just spotted this on the Bay of E. It looks good- way too good. Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1900-s-Original ... SwvZVZmiQ5
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: Real or Reproduction?

Post by HisMastersVoice »

The box is real for sure. Not 100% sure about the concert itself, but I'm inclined to believe it's authentic.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I agree that it looks too good to be original so I am skeptical. Jerry Blais

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

It does indeed seem too nice to be real, but perhaps it has lived in that box it's whole life and has never been touched? Are there known reproduction concerts with which to compare the serial number?

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

HisMastersVoice wrote:It does indeed seem too nice to be real, but perhaps it has lived in that box it's whole life and has never been touched? Are there known reproduction concerts with which to compare the serial number?
I suspect it is completely original , I have had lots of Clarke Johnsons made over the years but never concerts , the work needed is so much greater , like you say never been out of the box !

Phonolair
Victor III

Post by Phonolair »

My opinion, it's original.

Probably spent it's whole life in the box unused, still pretty pricy in my mind.

I've seen a few wood boxes where the reproducer serial number was written on the bottom of the box. If that's the case here that would be interesting.

Larry Crandell

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

soundgen wrote:
HisMastersVoice wrote:It does indeed seem too nice to be real, but perhaps it has lived in that box it's whole life and has never been touched? Are there known reproduction concerts with which to compare the serial number?
I suspect it is completely original , I have had lots of Clarke Johnsons made over the years but never concerts , the work needed is so much greater , like you say never been out of the box !

J&S has carried repros before:

They are listed on "Worthpoint"
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1853168277

I think J&S stated eons ago that all the repros had the same serial number and this one doesn't match the one on Worthpoint so...

It just looks "modern". Hard to explain. Maybe I am full of it.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

I was also curious as to the authenticity of this reproducer, so I picked out the best concert from my collection to compare it to. To my eyes, everything on the front seems right. On the back, the long-throat and the pin seem different, (but this may just be due to the fact that mine is an earlier serial # with the longer throat, or it could be due to production changes over time). To my eyes, the jury is still out.

If it is an authentic original that hasn't seen the light of day, it's interesting to note the bluing on the needle bar, but not on the needle screw.

Also, if it is authentic, how many of us have a pristine enough machine to use it on?

Cheers, Bob S.

Here are my comparison pic's:
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Steve Levi
Victor II

Post by Steve Levi »

Just my 2¢. Here is a photo of a concert box with serial # on bottom as Phonolair pointed out. My photography is not very good. Serial # on my box is49498. That box shown on EBay looks completely original and in pristine condition. Evidently it does not have a serial # penciled on bottom or seller would have taken a picture. As far as soundbox, I only own 1 concert long throat and unfortunately, it has a reproduction thumbscrew (which is not Blued), as Zebie pointed out. This is an interesting item for sale! A truly great survivor for its age or an impressive forgery. Steve Levi
Attachments
IMG_20170821_123459.jpg
IMG_20170821_123459.jpg (81.8 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
IMG_20170821_123605.jpg
IMG_20170821_123605.jpg (124.92 KiB) Viewed 1599 times

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Something doesn't look quite right to me but I can't quite put my finger on it. I'm comparing it with the long throat concert which came on my pre-dog E. I also have the original box for mine with the serial number written on the bottom. Unfortunately we have to compare our known original Concerts with photos which is not a good way to have to do it. To me, the lettering on the front does not look as sharp as mine, although this could be due to the. It just looks a little bit "off" somehow.

Jim