eBay Fees & Int'l. Shipping Costs

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

eBay Fees & Int'l. Shipping Costs

Post by JerryVan »

As mentioned in another thread, eBay charges its fee to the seller based on purchase price & shipping charges combined, (thanks eBay :x ). So I'm wondering about a recent sale of mine. I sold an item for $45 to a fellow in France. I used the eBay Global Shipping option. So, it cost me something like $16 to ship the item to eBay's facility in Erlanger, KY. I happen to know however, that the buyer paid a total of $120.00, (purchase price, plus int'l. shipping, etc.). So, would eBay charge their percentage based on $51, ($45 + $16), or would they charge based on $120, ($45 + total shipping cost)?

Thanks!

Victor VI

Re: eBay Fees & Int'l. Shipping Costs

Post by 52089 »

Ebay will charge you the amount you would normally pay, around 13% of the $61 you received. The amount paid by your customer in France includes additional fees (markups) that you are not responsible for.

bart1927
Victor II

Post by bart1927 »

52089 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:40 pm Ebay will charge you the amount you would normally pay, around 13% of the $61 you received. The amount paid by your customer in France includes additional fees (markups) that you are not responsible for.
This may differ depending on the country, but over here in the Netherlands, Ebay charges the seller roughly 13% on
-the final sales price of the item
-the shipping costs (even though you aren't making any money on this)
-the VAT the buyer has to pay to Ebay (even though not one single cent of this is received by the seller)

I think it's ridiculous. It has happened to me that I sold a record for 5 euro's to UK citizen. Shipping costs were EUR 25, including brand new packing materials. So the buyer had to pay EUR 30 to Ebay, plus 20% VAT, so EUR 36 total. Ebay then charged me 13% commission on EUR 36, which was EUR 4,68.

So after expenses I ended up with 32 cents. :cry:

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

52089 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:40 pm Ebay will charge you the amount you would normally pay, around 13% of the $61 you received.
Thanks for correcting my math... :oops: