Cheney on Nashville Craigslist.

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Benjamin_L
Victor III
Personal Text: Honk, honk.

Cheney on Nashville Craigslist.

Post by Benjamin_L »

I've never wanted a machine so badly before, and no matter what I reasonably offer they wont budge.

It's the first Cheney to be listed on my local craigslist, and it's still about two hours away. I'm just going to keep waiting not wanting to annoy them anymore, but still I don't think they're going to come down. :oops:

(It's people like this that really scare others away from wanting to get a Phonograph, that inflates the market.)

(https://nashville.craigslist.org/atq/d/ ... 08487.html)
Attachments
Cheney3.jpg
Cheney3.jpg (15.13 KiB) Viewed 1407 times

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Cheney on Nashville Craigslist.

Post by Lucius1958 »

Patience, patience...

Either someone with more money than sense will buy it; or (more likely) it will sit unsold until the seller comes to their senses. There are more fish in the sea than this.

-Bill

ts_13
Victor II

Post by ts_13 »

Yep I contacted them as well. He said he would put it in the attic before "giving it away". Oh well, good luck my man! I was interested in the stand.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Lucius1958 wrote:Patience, patience...

Either someone with more money than sense will buy it; or (more likely) it will sit unsold until the seller comes to their senses. There are more fish in the sea than this.

-Bill
Exactly. Try to secure his direct contact information. Give him yours. At some point he'll likely realize he's sky high. Also, maybe in the meantime you find another even better one. There's a very nice oak Edison C-150 in Minneapolis area with 60 diamond discs for $100 for example.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Not sure, nor do I have the energy to go look at catalogs, but it looks like the legs have been chopped off.

It's really not worthy of such a high level of desire, and here are just a few reasons:

- it's a Cheney: it cannot ever sound very good, at all. (Do not get me wrong, I LIKE Cheneys, but for the humor of the goofy pseudo-science in the marketing materials, plus the cool looks of the sound-mutilating tonearms.)

- mahogany, not oak (a judgement call, of course)

- nickel, not gold hardware (another judgement call, but can also indicate a lesser model, with a less powerful motor)

- two hours away = at least 120 miles, or 240 miles round trip. If you get 24 MPG, that's 10 gallons, at $3/gallon, that's $30. Plus the time spent.

- the one almost just like it in my garage cost me $0, and it's oak. And it's still in the garage. Even if Mr Greedy comes down to half his ridiculous "firm" $650, you still are not doing well on the deal.

- highly likely that Mr Greedy is an unpleasant person and the interaction will not be fun

- for $100 and another $50 for a lateral adaptor, the Edison C-150 mentioned elsewhere (or some other equally cheap but major-maker model) will give way, way, more satisfaction. Plus it comes with records.