Columbia Coin Op...needs restoration

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
EdisonWizard
Victor III

Columbia Coin Op...needs restoration

Post by EdisonWizard »

https://www.ebay.com/i/162675531264

Would love to have a coin op, but this seems a little past my expertise to restore.
Attachments
A0CD7A76-0A62-429D-B445-07FD8D89377D.png
J.F.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Re: Columbia Coin Op...needs restoration

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Aside from the obvious woodwork and missing domed glass, it is missing all the coin parts, as well as the horn stand. That would be a serious challenge to restore unless you are a highly skilled machinist as well as woodworker.

There have been people in the past who made key coin parts for the BS but as far as I know, none have been available for many years.

The BS isn't necessarily cheap but it's also not rare. Good examples do turn up at realistic prices.

Although it's the most common coin-op, it remains one of my favorites. It's just so much fun watching every single aspect of its operation. Nothing is hidden under a bedplate.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

TinfoilPhono wrote:Aside from the obvious woodwork and missing domed glass, it is missing all the coin parts, as well as the horn stand. That would be a serious challenge to restore unless you are a highly skilled machinist as well as woodworker.

There have been people in the past who made key coin parts for the BS but as far as I know, none have been available for many years.

The BS isn't necessarily cheap but it's also not rare. Good examples do turn up at realistic prices.

Although it's the most common coin-op, it remains one of my favorites. It's just so much fun watching every single aspect of its operation. Nothing is hidden under a bedplate.
One of my goals is to get a coin op that works and an opera! That is awesome that you have one...if you ever part with it let me know!
J.F.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

EdisonWizard wrote:if you ever part with it let me know!
You'll have to deal with my daughter. I plan to take that machine with me to the nursing home eventually. Seriously. ;)

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Haha I plan to do the same one day with all mine! Hopefully my son will take interest when he’s old enough!
J.F.