Post by briankeith »

I saw that BG,,, WHAT A SHAME :cry:

Django
Victor IV

Re: Pathé Adapter for Victor, Looks Unused, on ebay, not min

Post by Django »

phonogfp wrote:
Django wrote:
Are we 100% sure that they part out complete machines? I have seen them part out the majority of a machine, but I don't recall a complete machine. I could be mistaken.
Not too long ago he parted out a nice BG. I would have been happy to have that example in my own collection in the condition it was in. That BG survived for 110 years in nice condition until it was parted out.

George P.
Ok, that is shameful. Has anyone reached out to this dealer to ask them to maybe at least put complete machines through a full listing before parting it out? Maybe a letter of concern from the society? Unfortunately, money means more than preservation to many. Once they are gone, they are gone.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Django wrote:
phonogfp wrote:
Django wrote:
Are we 100% sure that they part out complete machines? I have seen them part out the majority of a machine, but I don't recall a complete machine. I could be mistaken.
Not too long ago he parted out a nice BG. I would have been happy to have that example in my own collection in the condition it was in. That BG survived for 110 years in nice condition until it was parted out.

George P.
Ok, that is shameful. Has anyone reached out to this dealer to ask them to maybe at least put complete machines through a full listing before parting it out? Maybe a letter of concern from the society? Unfortunately, money means more than preservation to many. Once they are gone, they are gone.
At the moment, this seller has an AZ offered in three pieces: Cabinet/lid, mechanism, and reproducer. Just search "Columbia Phonograph AZ" and you should find them. He also has a Victor R mechanism and cabinet listed separately, but that's far from complete, so I have less objection to that.

As for reaching out, I would if I knew him well. (I see the man once a year when he's set up at Union.) Bottom line is that it's his merchandise and it's still America. He's free to do with it as he pleases. But as I wrote earlier, my hope is that the marketplace will discourage him parting out otherwise nice machines. But if the profit is there, the practice will continue.

George P.

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Post by briankeith »

You're correct what a shame - here are his listings (again very sad) 371847517247, 391685839047, and 371846679850.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

phonogfp wrote:
Django wrote:

George P.
He's parted out a lot of complete machines that have survived 100 plus years. I recall an all original super clean Edison Standard F a couple years back. Usually with cygnet horns, elbow and bell are sold separately... :(

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

What hypocrisy ! they are his machines and he can do whatever he likes with them ! and by selling the parts separately and I assume they do sell , probably one machine allows another 3 , 4 or 5 machines to be restored , what's the problem with that :? :? :? :? :? GET A LIFE !

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Parts machines or not parts machines, I guess it all comes down to personal ethics. I couldn't part something out myself if someone else might want to save it, but that's just me and my conscious thinking.

Sean

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Post by briankeith »

A perfectly good machine - a survivor - gets torn apart for parts? Makes no sense at all to me. Like cutting off my perfectly good leg to give to another person with a bad leg :roll:

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

briankeith wrote:A perfectly good machine - a survivor - gets torn apart for parts? Makes no sense at all to me. Like cutting off my perfectly good leg to give to another person with a bad leg :roll:
one machine allows another 3 , 4 or 5 machines to be restored , what's the problem with that :? :? :? :? :?

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

soundgen wrote:
briankeith wrote:A perfectly good machine - a survivor - gets torn apart for parts? Makes no sense at all to me. Like cutting off my perfectly good leg to give to another person with a bad leg :roll:
one machine allows another 3 , 4 or 5 machines to be restored , what's the problem with that :? :? :? :? :?
To me the problem is a perfectly good machine, very good condition, every screw together for 100 plus years getting parted out to complete a mediocre machine. Parts may be correct but often look newer, older, different color than they did when together on the machine they came with. Screw heads get damaged, paint gets scratched, parts get lost in the unnecessary assembly and disassembly. Machines assembled from an amalgamation of parts rarely look as good as an original, together since day one machine.

Of course the owner can do with it as he pleases but not the best choice for the hobby imho. :monkey: