Rare Nickel Edison Triumph Up for Auction

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Garret
Victor IV

Rare Nickel Edison Triumph Up for Auction

Post by Garret »

Wow! Check out this rare nickel plated Edison Triumph coming up for auction today!

Auction link: http://coreybrownauction.com/upcoming-auctions/

Best,

Garret

rgordon939
Victor V

Re: Rare Nickel Edison Triumph Up for Auction

Post by rgordon939 »

Thanks for posting this Garret. Wish I had time to get there but I don’t. Hope someone on the forum gets it. Love to see pictures of it cleaned up.

Rich Gordon

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Reminds me of the one I saw at an auction a few weeks ago. It was mahogany though. The hammer price was $6500 plus 18% buyer's penalty plus shipping to the internet buyer.
Attachments
DSCN0507.JPG

MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

Post by MicaMonster »

Oh, where do >I< begin on this one. It's a Type-A Triumph in a Type-B Cabinet. Add to that, that it has a threaded, not slotted crank, so the original square hole crank....the nickeled one.....missing to history (along with the original Typa-A motor....). The original nickel carriage casting....gone. Cabinet bottom has been stripped, and refinished and has incorrect Edison script decal (with round "i"). Onto better things.....there looks to be evidence of silver painting (noooooooooo!). But from the photos I obtained, there is silver paint in the lock plate screw heads, and look at that umbrella ID plate.......shinier than the rest of it. I hope I am wrong, but man....there is flaking paint on the edges of the bedplate, too. If the bedplate looked as aged as the top casting, I would have been more enthusiastic. Cygnet crane bracket looks to have silver paint around cuff. There is paint on the the inside (or, even ON) the end gate securing bolt. Crane looks right. Horn is a 10 panel, incorrectly spray bombed red.

Is this worth saving? YES. Can it be done reasonably? It depends on if you are doing the work and have the right parts. Still, a GREAT FIND in the wild, from an awesome estate. My guess is that the mechanism was in a sweet record cabinet (glass top), and was removed to make the record cabinet more "functional." Someone found a Triumph B and did the "upgrade" to make it shinier.
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

I like how it sold for almost $5k. :D

Garret

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

MicaMonster wrote:Oh, where do >I< begin on this one. It's a Type-A Triumph in a Type-B Cabinet. Add to that, that it has a threaded, not slotted crank, so the original square hole crank....the nickeled one.....missing to history (along with the original Typa-A motor....). The original nickel carriage casting....gone. Cabinet bottom has been stripped, and refinished and has incorrect Edison script decal (with round "i"). Onto better things.....there looks to be evidence of silver painting (noooooooooo!). But from the photos I obtained, there is silver paint in the lock plate screw heads, and look at that umbrella ID plate.......shinier than the rest of it. I hope I am wrong, but man....there is flaking paint on the edges of the bedplate, too. If the bedplate looked as aged as the top casting, I would have been more enthusiastic. Cygnet crane bracket looks to have silver paint around cuff. There is paint on the the inside (or, even ON) the end gate securing bolt. Crane looks right. Horn is a 10 panel, incorrectly spray bombed red.

Is this worth saving? YES. Can it be done reasonably? It depends on if you are doing the work and have the right parts. Still, a GREAT FIND in the wild, from an awesome estate. My guess is that the mechanism was in a sweet record cabinet (glass top), and was removed to make the record cabinet more "functional." Someone found a Triumph B and did the "upgrade" to make it shinier.
Thanks, Killjoy. :cry:

;)
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

MicaMonster wrote:Oh, where do >I< begin on this one. It's a Type-A Triumph in a Type-B Cabinet. Add to that, that it has a threaded, not slotted crank, so the original square hole crank....the nickeled one.....missing to history (along with the original Typa-A motor....). The original nickel carriage casting....gone. Cabinet bottom has been stripped, and refinished and has incorrect Edison script decal (with round "i"). Onto better things.....there looks to be evidence of silver painting (noooooooooo!). But from the photos I obtained, there is silver paint in the lock plate screw heads, and look at that umbrella ID plate.......shinier than the rest of it. I hope I am wrong, but man....there is flaking paint on the edges of the bedplate, too. If the bedplate looked as aged as the top casting, I would have been more enthusiastic. Cygnet crane bracket looks to have silver paint around cuff. There is paint on the the inside (or, even ON) the end gate securing bolt. Crane looks right. Horn is a 10 panel, incorrectly spray bombed red.

This post and ones like it are precisely the kind of education I look for from this web site. Thank you MicaMonster for sharing your insights. :)
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Wyatt,

How does the A-works/B-cabinet differ from the ones mentioned here, which seem to be legitimate, as does the one I currently own? (Obviously I'm not referring to the nickel plating.)

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... +b+cabinet+