Sparks Sparton Automatic Phonograph -Portland, Or Craigslist

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Sparks Sparton Automatic Phonograph -Portland, Or Craigslist

Post by Jerry B. »

"1929 Sparks Sparton Ensemble Radio Automatic Photograph - $495 (West Linn)"

Sorry no link or photo (it's on my to do list the learn... really :? ) but it's too good not to post here. Delivery is possible to Union or APS.

Not my machine, Jerry Blais

melvind
Victor IV

Re: Sparks Sparton Automatic Phonograph -Portland, Or Craigs

Post by melvind »

Here is the link and a couple of pictures...

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/atq ... 82787.html
Last edited by melvind on Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

I've seen this machine. seller is a good egg- he's the guy I got my two "unusual custom" Edisons from. The machine is stunning. If I had the time and skill to restore this I'd grab it in a heartbeat, but since I already have a Brunswick Automatic Panatrope (thank you Jerry B!) and a 331 Duo on the way from Gene in NJ I'd better cool it or La Capa di tutti Capi will break my kneecaps for me. :lol:

The seller is mainly a jukebox collector which is why he's moving this one. He finds some really incredible stuff!
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Jerry B. wrote:"1929 Sparks Sparton Ensemble Radio Automatic Photograph - $495 (West Linn)"

Sorry no link or photo (it's on my to do list the learn... really :? ) but it's too good not to post here. Delivery is possible to Union or APS.

To post a link is very easy. All you have to do is highlight the URL or web address for the page you're looking at, which should appear in your Browser's address bar at the top. Then copy it the way you normally would copy text. I normally press the "CTRL" key and while holding it down, press the "C" key. Alternately, I right click the link while it's highlighted and select copy from the pop-up menu.

Once the link is copied, simply paste it where you want it into your message. If it's an especially long link, it will be abbreviated when the post appears, but the link will still work.

OrthoFan

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

OrthoFan wrote:
Jerry B. wrote:"1929 Sparks Sparton Ensemble Radio Automatic Photograph - $495 (West Linn)"

To post a link is very easy. All you have to do is highlight the URL or web address for the page you're looking at, which should appear in your Browser's address bar at the top. Then copy it the way you normally would copy text. I normally press the "CTRL" key and while holding it down, press the "C" key. Alternately, I right click the link while it's highlighted and select copy from the pop-up menu.

Once the link is copied, simply paste it where you want it into your message. If it's an especially long link, it will be abbreviated when the post appears, but the link will still work.

OrthoFan
I actually tried to do that for Jerry earlier. It just made my browser hang up. I have a really horrible time trying to load any pics here unless I took them myself. I seem to do just fine on other forums.

Either my browser just hangs when I go to post and I get the spinning circle that never ends, or I get a corrupted file notice. I just can't figure out why.

gemering
Victor IV

Post by gemering »

Looks awesome!
I hope a Forum member brings this back to life.
Hey Dan, would you, Jerry, and Stan want to deliver this to NJ?
It's only an 800 miles detour from Union.
Might be a great road trip with lots of memories and roadside attractions!

:lol:

Gene

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Well, the craigslist ad is gone now so it must have sold. A good reason to post pictures of things here so they can still be referenced once the original location is gone.

gemering
Victor IV

Post by gemering »

Are there any videos out there of one of these machines in operation?
I'd love to see how it works.

Gene

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

gemering wrote:Looks awesome!
I hope a Forum member brings this back to life.
Hey Dan, would you, Jerry, and Stan want to deliver this to NJ?
It's only an 800 miles detour from Union.
Might be a great road trip with lots of memories and roadside attractions!

:lol:

Gene
I might have been able to send it out in a VW! :shock:

Kirkwood
Victor II

Post by Kirkwood »

The Sparton (Sparks Withington) Company had some interesting designs, both in case work and electronics. This large (seriously) cabinet housed at least two different variations of changers. Some years ago, an antique dealer friend got one for me with the "matching" record cabinet (the cabinet of a Sparton Model 110 radio fitted with tilt-out numbered record sleeves, filled with 1930s country music records). Sad to say, mine got "updated" with Zenith Cobramatic components probably around the 1950s. Jammed into the back of the record cabinet was the original instruction booklet, so I found out mine was the model 99. This used an odd drop-type changer that would reject the discs into the drawer into the center, one-by-one, like Victor's 1050 changer. I would love to see a video of this one posted in action, just to watch how it handles the record change cycle----also to see what the rest of the radio and power supply looked like. While I managed to track down an original changer for mine and pieces of the radio, I'd like to see what I'm still missing. I'd also be curious to find out how they sound.