Last chance for ICS Standard model C #820130

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
tomb
Victor IV

Re: Last chance for ICS Standard model C #820130 up date

Post by tomb »

I brought most of the parts for this last production standard and I was amazed at the shoddy work done on it. The paint is peeling off the back of everything standing up and it is rusted. There is no shellac on a lot of it. They did not finish the base plate well by not grinding and surfacing several spots. Those I can not correct. I will get it together in a week or two. I hope to retain the original stripes if possible. Those looked like I put them on and all are not correct. Tom B
Attachments
IMG_1920.JPG
IMG_1922.JPG
IMG_1924.JPG

jboger
Victor IV

Re: Last chance for ICS Standard model C #820130

Post by jboger »

I have no desire to hijack this thread, but I do have an ICS machine as well. It's a Fireside 2/4 minute combination type. I believe the serial number is #83741, no where near the number on the machine described in this thread. Do I understand correctly that it's the lateness of the model and that it's a model C that makes the machine described in this thread so interesting, not that it was once owned by the ICS?

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

this is possibly in the last batch of Edison standards made, possibly after the factory burnt down. I have heard that the ICS company need more machines. Almost all the standards made at the last were ICS machines, looking at Martinolas spread sheet. The ICS company wanted Edison to make a two minute Amberola but I think they came out with a four minute cylinder to compensate. I have only one four minute language cylinder. It is one of the higher serial numbers put out by Edison. and would be towards the end of the standards. It shows in that it has been sloppily put together. There is only a coat of paint on the bedplate with no shellac put on top to finish it. The bed plate was not finished off smoothly and was not ground out in the harder to reach spots. I will not mind if someone corrects me if I have made an error on this post. I went by my memory.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Last chance for ICS Standard model C #820130 up date

Post by gramophone-georg »

tomb wrote:I brought most of the parts for this last production standard and I was amazed at the shoddy work done on it. The paint is peeling off the back of everything standing up and it is rusted. There is no shellac on a lot of it. They did not finish the base plate well by not grinding and surfacing several spots. Those I can not correct. I will get it together in a week or two. I hope to retain the original stripes if possible. Those looked like I put them on and all are not correct. Tom B
Tom, if it needs "body work" I might be able to help you out as I always have Eastwood's lead free body solder on hand and am well versed in using it.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Thanks for the offer George, but I think I will keep it as it is as far as castings on the bedplate errors. It shows how they were producing items on the finishing years. I am touching up the paint and trying to keep as much original as possible. I am debating on putting shellac on it to preserve it though. I was communicating with Martin and he ran into the same problems on his high numbered plate too. He shellacked his so I may follw suit. I am not one of the better finishers but I will take my time on this one. Tom B

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

tomb wrote:Thanks for the offer George, but I think I will keep it as it is as far as castings on the bedplate errors. It shows how they were producing items on the finishing years. I am touching up the paint and trying to keep as much original as possible. I am debating on putting shellac on it to preserve it though. I was communicating with Martin and he ran into the same problems on his high numbered plate too. He shellacked his so I may follw suit. I am not one of the better finishers but I will take my time on this one. Tom B
Now that I'm rereading what you wrote I understand I mis interpreted what you were saying. I thought someone had done shoddy work attempting to restore it but if this is shoddy factory work I agree it should stay.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

tomb wrote:Thanks for the offer George, but I think I will keep it as it is as far as castings on the bedplate errors. It shows how they were producing items on the finishing years. I am touching up the paint and trying to keep as much original as possible. I am debating on putting shellac on it to preserve it though. I was communicating with Martin and he ran into the same problems on his high numbered plate too. He shellacked his so I may follw suit. I am not one of the better finishers but I will take my time on this one. Tom B
Now that I'm rereading what you wrote I understand I mis interpreted what you were saying. I thought someone had done shoddy work attempting to restore it but if this is shoddy factory work I agree it should stay.