Victor III

Re: Antique Victor

Post by chrisg »

Both player work great. There is one in each picture above

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Ok, open to anyone, with the shoe on the other foot, if that machine belonged to you, what would the selling price be? This is my early Victor II, with a Sheble and Hawthorn horn. It's not for sale and to me, still worth more than the $1100.00 that I have onto it. Maybe I am just in denial.
Attachments
IMG_0321.JPG

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

But your machine is in great shape and the H & S horn is nice and rare. This machine on this topic is missing parts, wrong reproducer, and a halfassed crank. Your machine is a better deal.
Harvey Kravitz

chrisg
Victor III

Post by chrisg »

I agree with Harvey, condition and how complete.. phonographs, at least around here are dropping in price and more are popping up in antique stores, flea markets and even second hand shops. A victor II on ebay sold for less than $800 had a buy it now for $800 with FREE SHIPPNG but took less at a best offer accepted
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VICTOR ... 7675.l2557
Attachments
victor22.jpg
victor23.jpg

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

chrisg wrote:I agree with Harvey, condition and how complete.. phonographs, at least around here are dropping in price and more are popping up in antique stores, flea markets and even second hand shops. A victor II on ebay sold for less than $800 had a buy it now for $800 with FREE SHIPPNG but took less at a best offer accepted
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-VICTOR ... 7675.l2557
It is funny that you posted this machine. That is my machine now. I paid $750.00 with free shipping. The reproducer was a #2, but I had a nice round hole Exhibition that I got for $50.00 a while back, so that replaced the #2. The horn cost me just over $300.00 including shipping. The horn and machine cleaned up nicely and it plays as it should. All together I have just over $1100.00 invested. I also have a spare horn and #2 reproducer left over.

I was not saying that I thought the advertised machine was worth $1500.00. I just think that with the stand, nice original horn and nice back bracket that if $200.00 or so was invested into a reproducer and crank that you would have a nice Victor II in the end and a nice stand for a smaller machine. If I examined what he has and there were no surprises, I would offer $900.00 to $1000.00 for it. The II is fairly common, but I like the look and size. To me, the Victor II is the iconic talking machine. They are more common than others because they are rugged and they sold very well.

Hailey
Victor III

Post by Hailey »

Django wrote:Ok, open to anyone, with the shoe on the other foot, if that machine belonged to you, what would the selling price be? This is my early Victor II, with a Sheble and Hawthorn horn. It's not for sale and to me, still worth more than the $1100.00 that I have onto it. Maybe I am just in denial.

I sold all my common machines (I believe I counted five Victor II's) several years ago when they were bringing good money.

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

SOMEBODY IS PLAYING GAMES HERE.... SAME MACHINE, , DIFFERENT LOCATION..

BUYER BEWARE..

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/atq ... 50971.html

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

Washington is close enough to Philadelphia so it could be the same coverage. When I list something household related on CL I always list it in Vermont and New Hampshire.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

It is a little odd. It is not that the listing is just in a different region, but the seller's location is different, (Old Town, Alexandria, VA and Philadelphia PA). The Philadelphia listing has three additional pictures, so that one would likely be authentic. The first one posted here was actually listed two days after the other and has fewer pictures. That one could be fraudulent, but I don't see the reasoning. I can understand the reasoning of a crook doing it on an auction site where you remain more in the shadows. There, you can get paid and vanish. But you cannot do that with a hand-off type of purchase.