Victrola 8-12 Califon, New Jersey Not Mine on Ebay

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Victrola 8-12 Califon, New Jersey Not Mine on Ebay

Post by audiophile102 »

With a buy it now price of $150 it looks like a bargain, but who knows what is wrong with it. Too far from me. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Victor ... Sw8b1Z67oi
8-12.jpg
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Victrola 8-12 Califon, New Jersey Not Mine on Ebay

Post by Phonofreak »

It looks like it was stripped of the stain and finish coating. The tone arm bracket is pot metal and crumbling. It could be rebuilt with tedious fitting. Or it would have to be replaced. The grill cloth is gone. I'm sure the reproducer is pot metal, but it's hard to see it in the pictures. If the reproducer is good, and the tone arm support can be rebuilt, not a bad price.
Harvey Kravitz

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

The wood is not oak, as the seller claims.

I agree with Harvey, it was definitely stripped and re-finished. The dark mahogany finish on what's left of the grille (barely visible in front of the horn) --
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (40.76 KiB) Viewed 1698 times
-- would be the appropriate color.

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

The veneer is gone. What is left is core plywood showing. Collect the parts that are original and burry the rest. Too many of 8-12's for the number of collectors that want them. Victor had a hard time selling them back then and dumped 5,000 at a much reduced price.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Thanks for pointing it out that the veneer is gone. I thought the wood looked kind of funny. Definitely, stay away from this. Unless you can find a cabinet with veneer and finish, cheap, this will cost more than it is worth.
Harvey Kravitz

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

I don't think this all that bad a deal. Even with all the issues pointed out, for $100 you are getting an orthophonic reproducer and tonearm and a motor and crank. Those parts alone are worth way more than the asking price. So, if the machine can't be fixed up, the parts can be used to help someone else fix up theirs.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

melvind wrote:I don't think this all that bad a deal. Even with all the issues pointed out, for $100 you are getting an orthophonic reproducer and tonearm and a motor and crank. Those parts alone are worth way more than the asking price. So, if the machine can't be fixed up, the parts can be used to help someone else fix up theirs.
To me this is a perfect machine to create a "they should have built it" custom. I'm envisioning a fresh overcoat of burled walnut veneer on the flat panels and some tasteful contrasting paint on the trim like a VV 8-9, all French polished to perfection.

Now if I only had the time and it were 3000 miles closer...
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

pellicano1
Victor II
Personal Text: The Phonograph Stop

Post by pellicano1 »

If I were closer I would offer $60 and he'd probably take it. Being the condition the body is in. Also, he dated incorrectly. this one was actually made in 1928. I see people dating Victrolas incorrectly all the time. Cheers :)
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

Torjazzer
Victor II

Post by Torjazzer »

It certainly deserves a second chance. The idea of taking what has monetary value and burying the rest is contrary to the objectives of the hobby: restoration and preservation.

Torjazzer
Victor II

Post by Torjazzer »

Skihawx wrote: Collect the parts that are original and burry the rest. Too many of 8-12's for the number of collectors that want them. Victor had a hard time selling them back then and dumped 5,000 at a much reduced price.
I wasn't aware that there was such a surplus of talking machines. I am so glad that we are so awash with gramophones that we can dispose of those with veneer blemishes and replaceable brackets.