Glen Ellison sings Roamin' in the Gloamin on Edison Record

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Glen Ellison sings Roamin' in the Gloamin on Edison Record

Post by audiophile102 »

I posted a second Edison record on ebay. The record sounds great and comes with an interesting sleeve. If you like Scottish folk songs, you will love Glen Ellison. The posting has an embedded You Tube video. Glen goes into a monologue in the middle of the song, but it's not in the video. The camera I used is tiny and reduces the sound quality, but it will give you an idea of how it sounds.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272967627966?s ... 1558.l2649
Last edited by audiophile102 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

phonojim
Victor IV

Re: Harry Lauder sings Roamin' in the Gloamin on Edison Reco

Post by phonojim »

That DD is sung by Glen Ellison; it was written by Harry Lauder. Lauder recorded cylinders for Edison but not discs and most, if not all of his 4 minute cylinders were originally issued on black wax. 2 minute Edisons by Harry Lauder exist as well. There was at least one (and possibly more) that was not issued at the time it was recorded and was first issued in the 5000 block. Edison hired Glen Ellison to record Scottish material on disc because Lauder had an exclusive contract with Victor/Hmv for discs.

Jim

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

phonojim wrote:That DD is sung by Glen Ellison; it was written by Harry Lauder. Lauder recorded cylinders for Edison but not discs and most, if not all of his 4 minute cylinders were originally issued on black wax. 2 minute Edisons by Harry Lauder exist as well. There was at least one (and possibly more) that was not issued at the time it was recorded and was first issued in the 5000 block. Edison hired Glen Ellison to record Scottish material on disc because Lauder had an exclusive contract with Victor/Hmv for discs.

Jim
Thanks for the correction. Interesting facts. I'll have to correct my ebay listing.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Such was Harry Lauder's popularity that his songs and his style of singing them were widely copied. The Australian bass-baritone Peter Dawson recorded many of Lauder's songs on HMV's Zonophone label under the pseudonym of Hector Grant and even went on tour as Grant, heavily disguised and wearing a kilt.

Years later the two men met in the recording studio, and Dawson confessed to Lauder that he was Hector Grant. Lauder refused to believe him, insisting that he had seen Hector Grant on stage in Glasgow!

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Glen Ellison was a good singer- technically I'd say he was better than Lauder - but he doesn't really sound like Lauder.

Colin O'More (not the name he was born with) did recordings in the John McCormack manner for Vocallion - and later for Victor.