eBay: Edison Home Kinetoscope #1249

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: eBay: Edison Home Kinetoscope #1249

Post by JerryVan »

There's nothing to fear from the arc lamp. The film however would give me pause.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Arc lamps aren't really as scary as they seem. Nitrate film however...

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Post by briankeith »

The use of nitrocellulose film for motion pictures led to the requirement for fireproof projection rooms with wall coverings made of asbestos. A training film for projectionists included footage of a controlled ignition of a reel of nitrate film, which continued to burn when fully submerged in water. Unlike many other flammable materials, nitrocellulose does not need air to keep burning, as the reaction produces oxygen similar to a thermite reaction. Once burning, it is extremely difficult to extinguish. Immersing burning film in water may not extinguish it, and could actually increase the amount of smoke produced. Cinema fires caused by ignition of nitrocellulose film stock were the cause of the 1926 Dromcolliher cinema tragedy in County Limerick in which 48 people died and the 1929 Glen Cinema disaster in Paisley, Scotland, which killed 69 children.

Phototone
Victor III

Post by Phototone »

I guess I was wrong about the film guage of this British machine. sorry.

Fonotone
Victor II

Post by Fonotone »

Phototone wrote:I guess I was wrong about the film guage of this British machine. sorry.
It's American, made by Edison in NJ.
Visit TechnoGallerie -- Antique Phonographs & More

http://www.technogallerie.com

A Museum Of Science & Invention Where The Exhibits Are For Sale

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

I also have a nice original Edison Home Kinetoscope outfit. Shamefully, mine remains covered up with blankets with all the components carefully stored inside its original black metal Edison Home Kinetoscope case. The case, projector and all else including the 5 Edison films that came with mine are in wonderful original condition. I purchased the outfit as a curiosity about 20 years ago and have been fearful of attempting to try using it since I don't know much about it. :( And I feel a bit uncomfortable accepting the risk of damaging something on it - especially the films. I have plenty of confidence in my skills with phonographs and music boxes but the risk of messing something up on a Kinetoscope or the films doesn't appeal to me. I shared the titles of my Edison films with a prominent Edison Home Kinetoscope enthusiast years ago and he informed me that all of the titles I have are pretty uncommon but one film is the only known copy to exist: "The Man With The Weak Heart". I would love to watch some of my Edison films here. The one being offered on eBay here is thusfar exceeding the price that I thought I'd ever realize if I sold my own Edison Home Kinetoscope outfit. I paid a premium price for my outfit 20 years ago but not quite this much. And mine came with the 5 films all in nice condition. This outfit on eBay has no films with it although he has one film offered for sale separately. I'll be interested to see what the final selling price is for both the outfit and the film.

Doug

oldphonographsteve
Victor II
Personal Text: I'm the guy that found the fault in asphalt

Post by oldphonographsteve »

FellowCollector wrote:I also have a nice original Edison Home Kinetoscope outfit. Shamefully, mine remains covered up with blankets with all the components carefully stored inside its original black metal Edison Home Kinetoscope case. The case, projector and all else including the 5 Edison films that came with mine are in wonderful original condition. I purchased the outfit as a curiosity about 20 years ago and have been fearful of attempting to try using it since I don't know much about it. :( And I feel a bit uncomfortable accepting the risk of damaging something on it - especially the films. I have plenty of confidence in my skills with phonographs and music boxes but the risk of messing something up on a Kinetoscope or the films doesn't appeal to me. I shared the titles of my Edison films with a prominent Edison Home Kinetoscope enthusiast years ago and he informed me that all of the titles I have are pretty uncommon but one film is the only known copy to exist: "The Man With The Weak Heart". I would love to watch some of my Edison films here. The one being offered on eBay here is thusfar exceeding the price that I thought I'd ever realize if I sold my own Edison Home Kinetoscope outfit. I paid a premium price for my outfit 20 years ago but not quite this much. And mine came with the 5 films all in nice condition. This outfit on eBay has no films with it although he has one film offered for sale separately. I'll be interested to see what the final selling price is for both the outfit and the film.

Doug
Doug, it may be beneficial to have that film transferred. Considering the unstable chemical state of nitrate film, it could decay at a moment's notice. I'm sure some archive would be interested in a transfer considering it's lost status and it's being an Edison film.

-Stephen