VLTA? On eBay

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
EdisonWizard
Victor III

VLTA? On eBay

Post by EdisonWizard »

Looks like a VLTA to me but not sure. Looks to be in great shape with a bunch of extras. Not sure if price is right... it's best offer, but here you go.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2156273922
Attachments
Screenshot_20180101-120839.jpg
J.F.

Django
Victor IV

Re: VLTA? On eBay

Post by Django »

It iappears to be an early VV-XVI. It looks to be a nice example and has the VTLA key. If I was not on the other coast I would at least go have a look. I think it is well worth the price. Unless there is a hidden flaw, I would be happy to do the buy it now.

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

This is a nice looking VTLA. It has the wheeled castors, some of the early ones used a roller ball type castor. Production of these cabinets was shared between Pooley and Victor until 1909 when Victor made all their own cabinets. Can the different type castors be attributed to the 2 different manufacturers?
Attachments
Ebay_VTLA_0001.jpg
Ebay_VTLA_0002.jpg
Ebay_VTLA_0003.jpg
Ebay_VTLA_0004.jpg
Ebay_VTLA_0005.jpg
Ebay_VTLA_0006.jpg
Ebay_VTLA_0007.jpg
Ebay_VTLA_0008.jpg
Ebay_VTLA_0009.jpg
Ebay_VTLA_0010.jpg
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

oldphonographsteve
Victor II
Personal Text: I'm the guy that found the fault in asphalt

Post by oldphonographsteve »

Is that a Lyon and Healy plate on the front of the machine? Nice!

Stephen

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

It sure looks like a VTLA, however it could have either a VTLA or VV XVI model number on the name plate. I have one that looks just like this one but has XVI. I would have expected a VTLA but it was from 1909 just before the cabinet changed to not have the scroll work at the top. So, a bit transitional. I sure do wish there was a picture of the model plate!

All the extras sure are nice and the VTLA style key means the lock is the older style and the newer V keys would not work in it. All in all a very nice machine full of goodies.

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

It is described in the auction as a VV-XVI so likely not a VTLA designation. This designation change occurred sometime after serial number 12300.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

There is three L doors on EBay right now. One for $500 mahogany, one oak $ 550, and this one. It is raining L doors. Is the price of $ 899. a good price.??? Tom B

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

It’s likely tagged as a XVI, I can see that the data plate says “Style” and not “Type”. The lid stay also appears to the the later, thicker style. Let’s also assume that the manual is original...a VTLA designated machine would have come with a manual that simply says “Victor Victrola” since there was only one model at that point.

CDBPDX
Victor V

Post by CDBPDX »

I contacted the seller and got a picture of the ID plate. Here is the response from the seller:

We believe this is a 1908 model, which we've owned for at least 25 years. There are also a couple dozen records from that era which are also included. We also just had the motor rebuilt for a couple hundred dollars, so that any new owner will feel confident that the machine is working property. Interesting enough, we were told by the service company that our motor happens to be one which is very rare, and they said that these types of motors are very hard to find without paying a fortune for them.

Cliff
Attachments
Ebay_VTLA_0011.jpg

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Definitely 1909. VTLA designation was dropped around 12,500 and carving under the lid dropped around 13,700. Being that this machine is No. 12,878, it makes sense that it was made just after the XVI designation in mid-1909. An interesting and uncommon slice of a small subset, to be sure.