On eBay: A large collection of 78s in Hamden, CT

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Cody K
Victor III

On eBay: A large collection of 78s in Hamden, CT

Post by Cody K »

Over the past several years, I've bought a number of records from this seller in single-record auctions on eBay. He's an older gentleman, a serious collector for decades, and he knows his stuff. We've corresponded on numerous occasions and I've found him to be honest, friendly, and personable. Normally he's listed records one by one, and I've never been at all disappointed in a record I've bought from him. Lately he's listed the remainder of his collection as a very large lot of 14,000+ records. What's a bit alarming in his current listing is that he mentions that he'd hate to see the records go to the landfill, which has made me want to point out the collection here. I'd consider it myself, but I'm not really capable of taking on the rescue of such a large collection right now -- I'm actually in a process of downsizing, myself. For someone younger with the means to buy, move, and store all these, it could be a good opportunity. While I don't know the inventory involved, judging from the quality of his previous listings I'd be surprised if there was much junk in this collection, if any. Definitely a collection worth looking into, in my opinion.

Not mine, obviously...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Collection-of- ... SwT2dZ9hQ-
Attachments
s-l1600-4.jpg
s-l1600-3.jpg
s-l1600-1.jpg
"Gosh darn a Billiken anyhow."- Uncle Josh Weathersby

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: On eBay: A large collection of 78s in Hamden, CT

Post by gramophone-georg »

Charles is a good egg. Unfortunately I am in Oregon.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

Does anyone know how to contact the seller outside of Ebay? These probably won't sell but maybe I can find homes for many of them.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Get in touch through eBay I suppose. 14000 recordings in danger of the landfill...such a sad thought. And all those classical albums! (Not a joke. I LOVE classical box sets and wish I found more of them.)

Somehow let's start a record distribution from this. If he'd break into boxes of 100 apiece that is 1,400 collectors. And most of us would rather have a couple hundred records than several thousand.

He could try a different strategy and we'd have that area cleared out for him in a jiff.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

14,000 78s would require a tractor trailer to move, not to mention re-inforcing the floors in your house... :lol:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Curt A wrote:14,000 78s would require a tractor trailer to move, not to mention re-inforcing the floors in your house... :lol:

Just think of the joy of going through that many records though! Boy, would it be fun.

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

It makes me think of going through my late friend Arthur Pare's collection.He had some real goodies!It would've been a sin to throw all those in the dumpster,just like those.edisonplayer