The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Folding horn on ebay
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:25 pm 
Offline
Victor III
User avatar
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 8:52 am
Posts: 556
Location: Louisiana
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2499293110


Attachments:
C42C88AF-4DE1-482C-BC69-05AB08CABE26.png
C42C88AF-4DE1-482C-BC69-05AB08CABE26.png [ 1.65 MiB | Viewed 556 times ]
J.F.
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Folding horn on ebay
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:11 am 
Offline
Victor III
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:46 pm
Posts: 887
Location: riverside calif
How can these people be unknown bidder or private bidder or what else on E bay. Seems like some new designation is coming up all the time. Why does E bay allow that.???? It makes it hard to bid. Tom


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Folding horn on ebay
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:06 am 
Offline
Victor IV
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:55 am
Posts: 1685
Location: Eugene/ Springfield Oregon USA
tomb wrote:
How can these people be unknown bidder or private bidder or what else on E bay. Seems like some new designation is coming up all the time. Why does E bay allow that.???? It makes it hard to bid. Tom


eBay doesn't allow it- they FORCED it. Too much shill bidding, so they shut off the lights, so to speak. If you can't see it, it's not happening.

I like how they booted the first bidder- obviously a fraud account, yet they let his bids remain to increase their final value fees. :roll: THAT'S a new one on me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Folding horn on ebay
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:00 am 
Offline
Victor III
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:43 pm
Posts: 726
gramophone-georg wrote:
tomb wrote:
How can these people be unknown bidder or private bidder or what else on E bay. Seems like some new designation is coming up all the time. Why does E bay allow that.???? It makes it hard to bid. Tom


eBay doesn't allow it- they FORCED it. Too much shill bidding, so they shut off the lights, so to speak. If you can't see it, it's not happening.

I like how they booted the first bidder- obviously a fraud account, yet they let his bids remain to increase their final value fees. :roll: THAT'S a new one on me.


Can you explain what you mean about fraud account? Do you mean the seller or the bidder?
Dave D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Folding horn on ebay
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:06 pm 
Offline
Victor VI
User avatar
Needle Tins are Addictive
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:32 pm
Posts: 3304
Location: Belmont, North Carolina
To me, it looks like the bidder with 493 buys, placed a proxy bid on the item and possibly the seller was not happy with the price, so someone with only 4 buys jumped in and bumped up bidder 493 to see what his maximum proxy bid was and buyer 4 "got the item". From looking at this, buyer 4 is probably a friend of the seller and protected the seller from losing it at below his desired selling price...


Attachments:
Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 10.52.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 10.52.29 AM.png [ 281.12 KiB | Viewed 287 times ]
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Folding horn on ebay
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:43 pm 
Offline
Victor V
User avatar
I'm Feeling Cranky
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:22 pm
Posts: 2606
Location: Finger Lakes Territory, RONYC
Curt A wrote:
To me, it looks like the bidder with 493 buys, placed a proxy bid on the item and possibly the seller was not happy with the price, so someone with only 4 buys jumped in and bumped up bidder 493 to see what his maximum proxy bid was and buyer 4 "got the item". From looking at this, buyer 4 is probably a friend of the seller and protected the seller from losing it at below his desired selling price...

Or someone simply sniped it. I've done that before for a particularly desirable item that I just had to have - in fact I'm sure many of us have. I've been outbid before similarly. I know of software that can be used, I don't use it because I enjoy the "thrill of the hunt", but I know others that have used software.

Is sniping software still a "thing"?

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Folding horn on ebay
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:52 pm 
Offline
Victor III
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:46 pm
Posts: 887
Location: riverside calif
If a bidder wants a certain amount I believe they can put in a reserve bid to get at least the minimum they want. If your friend in cahoots with you wins a high bid the seller would still owe fees yes/ no ??? Is this why the put out private bidders for the bidding ???


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Folding horn on ebay
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:14 pm 
Offline
Victor IV
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:55 am
Posts: 1685
Location: Eugene/ Springfield Oregon USA
Dave D wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:
tomb wrote:
How can these people be unknown bidder or private bidder or what else on E bay. Seems like some new designation is coming up all the time. Why does E bay allow that.???? It makes it hard to bid. Tom


eBay doesn't allow it- they FORCED it. Too much shill bidding, so they shut off the lights, so to speak. If you can't see it, it's not happening.

I like how they booted the first bidder- obviously a fraud account, yet they let his bids remain to increase their final value fees. :roll: THAT'S a new one on me.


Can you explain what you mean about fraud account? Do you mean the seller or the bidder?
Dave D


The first bidder became "not a registered user" or NARU in eBay speak after he placed the bids but during the auction, which indicates something very fishy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Folding horn on ebay
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:26 pm 
Offline
Victor III
User avatar
music is time travel and strings moments in time together like nothing else I know -- Kathleen Lane
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:23 am
Posts: 779
Location: North Oregon Coast
Sniping programs normally put bids in right at the end 2 or 3 seconds before the auction ends. This final bid was put in hours before the end based on the time and dates that shows on the post above. I doubt it was a snipe.
-- Dan

Visit My YouTube Channel
Visit the OTAPS Home Page http://otaps.org


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Folding horn on ebay
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:40 pm 
Offline
Victor V
User avatar
I'm Feeling Cranky
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:22 pm
Posts: 2606
Location: Finger Lakes Territory, RONYC
melvind wrote:
Sniping programs normally put bids in right at the end 2 or 3 seconds before the auction ends. This final bid was put in hours before the end based on the time and dates that shows on the post above. I doubt it was a snipe.

Ah, yes...I see that now.
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.