https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2499293110

Attachments:
C42C88AF-4DE1-482C-BC69-05AB08CABE26.png
C42C88AF-4DE1-482C-BC69-05AB08CABE26.png [ 1.65 MiB | Viewed 556 times ]
J.F.

Post subject: Re: Folding horn on ebay
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:11 am 
Victor III
How can these people be unknown bidder or private bidder or what else on E bay. Seems like some new designation is coming up all the time. Why does E bay allow that.???? It makes it hard to bid. Tom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:06 am 
Victor IV
tomb wrote:
How can these people be unknown bidder or private bidder or what else on E bay. Seems like some new designation is coming up all the time. Why does E bay allow that.???? It makes it hard to bid. Tom

eBay doesn't allow it- they FORCED it. Too much shill bidding, so they shut off the lights, so to speak. If you can't see it, it's not happening.

I like how they booted the first bidder- obviously a fraud account, yet they let his bids remain to increase their final value fees. :roll: THAT'S a new one on me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:00 am 
Victor III
gramophone-georg wrote:
tomb wrote:

eBay doesn't allow it- they FORCED it. Too much shill bidding, so they shut off the lights, so to speak. If you can't see it, it's not happening.

I like how they booted the first bidder- obviously a fraud account, yet they let his bids remain to increase their final value fees. :roll: THAT'S a new one on me.

Can you explain what you mean about fraud account? Do you mean the seller or the bidder?
Dave D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:06 pm 
Victor VI
Needle Tins are Addictive
To me, it looks like the bidder with 493 buys, placed a proxy bid on the item and possibly the seller was not happy with the price, so someone with only 4 buys jumped in and bumped up bidder 493 to see what his maximum proxy bid was and buyer 4 "got the item". From looking at this, buyer 4 is probably a friend of the seller and protected the seller from losing it at below his desired selling price...

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 10.52.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 10.52.29 AM.png [ 281.12 KiB | Viewed 287 times ]
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:43 pm 
Victor V
I'm Feeling Cranky
Curt A wrote:
To me, it looks like the bidder with 493 buys, placed a proxy bid on the item and possibly the seller was not happy with the price, so someone with only 4 buys jumped in and bumped up bidder 493 to see what his maximum proxy bid was and buyer 4 "got the item". From looking at this, buyer 4 is probably a friend of the seller and protected the seller from losing it at below his desired selling price...

Or someone simply sniped it. I've done that before for a particularly desirable item that I just had to have - in fact I'm sure many of us have. I've been outbid before similarly. I know of software that can be used, I don't use it because I enjoy the "thrill of the hunt", but I know others that have used software.

Is sniping software still a "thing"?

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:52 pm 
Victor III
If a bidder wants a certain amount I believe they can put in a reserve bid to get at least the minimum they want. If your friend in cahoots with you wins a high bid the seller would still owe fees yes/ no ??? Is this why the put out private bidders for the bidding ???

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:14 pm 
Victor IV
Dave D wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:
tomb wrote:

Can you explain what you mean about fraud account? Do you mean the seller or the bidder?
Dave D

The first bidder became "not a registered user" or NARU in eBay speak after he placed the bids but during the auction, which indicates something very fishy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:26 pm 
Victor III
music is time travel and strings moments in time together like nothing else I know -- Kathleen Lane
Sniping programs normally put bids in right at the end 2 or 3 seconds before the auction ends. This final bid was put in hours before the end based on the time and dates that shows on the post above. I doubt it was a snipe.
-- Dan

Visit My YouTube Channel
Visit the OTAPS Home Page http://otaps.org

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:40 pm 
Victor V
I'm Feeling Cranky
melvind wrote:
Sniping programs normally put bids in right at the end 2 or 3 seconds before the auction ends. This final bid was put in hours before the end based on the time and dates that shows on the post above. I doubt it was a snipe.

Ah, yes...I see that now.
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.