Post by EdisonWizard »

Attachments
C42C88AF-4DE1-482C-BC69-05AB08CABE26.png
J.F.

tomb
Victor IV

Re: Folding horn on ebay

Post by tomb »

How can these people be unknown bidder or private bidder or what else on E bay. Seems like some new designation is coming up all the time. Why does E bay allow that.???? It makes it hard to bid. Tom

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

tomb wrote:How can these people be unknown bidder or private bidder or what else on E bay. Seems like some new designation is coming up all the time. Why does E bay allow that.???? It makes it hard to bid. Tom
eBay doesn't allow it- they FORCED it. Too much shill bidding, so they shut off the lights, so to speak. If you can't see it, it's not happening.

I like how they booted the first bidder- obviously a fraud account, yet they let his bids remain to increase their final value fees. :roll: THAT'S a new one on me.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

gramophone-georg wrote:
tomb wrote:How can these people be unknown bidder or private bidder or what else on E bay. Seems like some new designation is coming up all the time. Why does E bay allow that.???? It makes it hard to bid. Tom
eBay doesn't allow it- they FORCED it. Too much shill bidding, so they shut off the lights, so to speak. If you can't see it, it's not happening.

I like how they booted the first bidder- obviously a fraud account, yet they let his bids remain to increase their final value fees. :roll: THAT'S a new one on me.
Can you explain what you mean about fraud account? Do you mean the seller or the bidder?
Dave D

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

To me, it looks like the bidder with 493 buys, placed a proxy bid on the item and possibly the seller was not happy with the price, so someone with only 4 buys jumped in and bumped up bidder 493 to see what his maximum proxy bid was and buyer 4 "got the item". From looking at this, buyer 4 is probably a friend of the seller and protected the seller from losing it at below his desired selling price...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 10.52.29 AM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Curt A wrote:To me, it looks like the bidder with 493 buys, placed a proxy bid on the item and possibly the seller was not happy with the price, so someone with only 4 buys jumped in and bumped up bidder 493 to see what his maximum proxy bid was and buyer 4 "got the item". From looking at this, buyer 4 is probably a friend of the seller and protected the seller from losing it at below his desired selling price...
Or someone simply sniped it. I've done that before for a particularly desirable item that I just had to have - in fact I'm sure many of us have. I've been outbid before similarly. I know of software that can be used, I don't use it because I enjoy the "thrill of the hunt", but I know others that have used software.

Is sniping software still a "thing"?

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

If a bidder wants a certain amount I believe they can put in a reserve bid to get at least the minimum they want. If your friend in cahoots with you wins a high bid the seller would still owe fees yes/ no ??? Is this why the put out private bidders for the bidding ???

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Dave D wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:

Can you explain what you mean about fraud account? Do you mean the seller or the bidder?
Dave D
The first bidder became "not a registered user" or NARU in eBay speak after he placed the bids but during the auction, which indicates something very fishy.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Sniping programs normally put bids in right at the end 2 or 3 seconds before the auction ends. This final bid was put in hours before the end based on the time and dates that shows on the post above. I doubt it was a snipe.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

melvind wrote:Sniping programs normally put bids in right at the end 2 or 3 seconds before the auction ends. This final bid was put in hours before the end based on the time and dates that shows on the post above. I doubt it was a snipe.
Ah, yes...I see that now.
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.