Folding horn on ebay

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Folding horn on ebay

Post by Curt A »

A snipe won't show as multiple "bumps" in raising the bids, it will only result in a final bid that is either higher or lower than any previous proxy bids, resulting in a win or lose at the very end of the listing...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

As the seller of this item, I can assure everyone that there was no fraud committed in the auction. The high bidder ended up being a man in the Czech Republic who does not understand English very well. From his communications with me, I think he thought he was getting the horn and the machine on which it was displayed.

I have offered the horn to the back up bidder and if he does not take it, I will either keep it or relist it.

This is one of the reasons I have never liked selling to overseas bidders. In the end, they only win by a couple of dollars and end up being a lot of trouble.
Dave D

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Dave D wrote:As the seller of this item, I can assure everyone that there was no fraud committed in the auction. The high bidder ended up being a man in the Czech Republic who does not understand English very well. From his communications with me, I think he thought he was getting the horn and the machine on which it was displayed.

I have offered the horn to the back up bidder and if he does not take it, I will either keep it or relist it.

This is one of the reasons I have never liked selling to overseas bidders. In the end, they only win by a couple of dollars and end up being a lot of trouble.
Dave D
I don't think anyone knew who the seller was, including me. I looked at the feedback for your user ID and it looked very legit. Now I know why. :)

Just to underscore, my comments about fraud, shill bidding, etc. were concerning the NARU'd bidder and eBay, Inc., not the seller. If that wasn't clear I apologize.

If you look up my user name here on eBay and click on 'feedback as a seller', you'll see I was a prolific seller there. I stopped selling on eBay in July of 2010 because of all their nonsense. I also hold eBay accountable for the fraud on their site because they just will NOT put a stop to it. Instead, as I pointed out, they chose to make it very hard to figure out what's going on instead of stopping it because scammers generate a lot of fees.

Sorry you are having an issue with your high bidder. When I sold on eBay, I sold worldwide with very few issues, but then, I am proficient enough in a few "core languages" to be able to overcome many language barriers. I still sell worldwide today. I just refuse to let buyers have the eBay tool box for con artists at their disposal. :lol:
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

By the way, Dave, that's a beautiful horn.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.