Columbia B-XP Eagle with Aluminum Horn, Almost Gone on ebay

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Columbia B-XP Eagle with Aluminum Horn, Almost Gone on e

Post by fran604g »

brianu wrote:what does the XP stand for in the model designation?
"P" = Polished nickel. Note the governor weights, as distinguishing between a polished nickel plated model, and the unplated weights found on the unpolished model.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

fran604g wrote:
brianu wrote:what does the XP stand for in the model designation?
"P" = Polished nickel. Note the governor weights, as distinguishing between a polished nickel plated model, and the unplated weights found on the unpolished model.

Best,
Fran
so extra polish? just want to make sure I've got the lingo right. my type B is the same, bright reflective nickel plate on everything, including the governor weights.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

If you don't mind, please post the serial number. I think that George Paul is keeping a database on these machines.

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

George posted an ad for this model in one of his threads, it's just listed as a Model B, and the ad stated you could get it nickel plated for the extra $$. Same as Edison listing nickel or gold plating for extra $$

The "XP" label is like starting to list nickel or gold plated Edison machines with a new model name.

Chuck

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

ChuckA wrote:George posted an ad for this model in one of his threads, it's just listed as a Model B, and the ad stated you could get it nickel plated for the extra $$. Same as Edison listing nickel or gold plating for extra $$

The "XP" label is like starting to list nickel or gold plated Edison machines with a new model name.

Chuck
It's been my understanding that all Model Bs were nickel plated, but the polished nickel plated machines were only offered for a very short period.

Am I wrong?

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

fran604g wrote:
ChuckA wrote:George posted an ad for this model in one of his threads, it's just listed as a Model B, and the ad stated you could get it nickel plated for the extra $$. Same as Edison listing nickel or gold plating for extra $$

Chuck
It's been my understanding that all Model Bs were nickel plated, but the polished nickel plated machines were only offered for a very short period.

Am I wrong?

Best,
Fran
Your correct I forgot to add the "Polished" descriptor.

Chuck

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Raphael wrote:Thanks to all of you for the nice comments. I was surprised that it didn’t sell for more, of the four that are in my collection, this was the nicest. I’m glad it went to a Forum member,

Raphael
I was also surprised that it did not go higher. I didn’t think that I had a chance. It will be treasured and thank you for making it available.

ChuckA
Victor III

Post by ChuckA »

Django wrote:
Raphael wrote:Thanks to all of you for the nice comments. I was surprised that it didn’t sell for more, of the four that are in my collection, this was the nicest. I’m glad it went to a Forum member,

Raphael
I was also surprised that it did not go higher. I didn’t think that I had a chance. It will be treasured and thank you for making it available.

It might have gone higher if it had an original 10" nickel horn instead of the aluminum horn. They are harder to find and much more expensive.

Chuck

Crank_it_up
Victor III

Post by Crank_it_up »

Django wrote:If you don't mind, please post the serial number. I think that George Paul is keeping a database on these machines.
George will verify but I’m pretty certain this one is in the database already. It is indeed a beauty and not easy to find, especially in this condition. You can see mine in my avatar. I love these little machines. I have been lucky since I have owned 4 and recently found yet another. But, it has some explaining to do since it doesn’t fit into the known parameters. I wil get some pics and start a new thread about it soon.
Joe

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Here's the November 1898 catalog description of the "Nickeled & Polished" Eagle:
EagleN&P.jpg
EagleN&P.jpg (110.73 KiB) Viewed 506 times
For many many years, this was the only reference I could find regarding this machine, other than an item in the Music Trade Review for August 6, 1898. Nowhere could I find any documentation of the "BXP" nomenclature.

In his landmark book, Hazelcorn's Guide to the Columbia Cylinder Graphophones, Howard Hazelcorn described the Eagle, as well as the "nickeled and highly polished" model "...known as the 'BXP.'" With no reference offered, and after years of being unable to confirm period use of this label, I concluded that it was a latter-day moniker. About a year ago, I discovered that I had been wrong.

In Shawn O'Rourke's fine reprint of Columbia's November 15, 1899 catalog, there is no offering of the "Nickeled and Polished Eagle," but looking through the list of "Miscellaneous Parts and Supplies," I was dumbfounded. There were four references to the "BXP" among mainsprings, spring barrels, winding keys, and belts. These references did not appear in the 1898 catalog nor the 1900 catalog - only on the last page of the 1899 catalog. That page is reproduced below:
BXP001.jpg
BXP001.jpg (95.63 KiB) Viewed 506 times
So despite my earlier suspicions, the Columbia Phonograph Company indeed used the "BXP" nomenclature - however briefly. Prior to my obtaining the reprinted catalog last year, I had never seen any period usage of "BXP," and this page remains the only place I've seen it as of now.

George P.
Last edited by phonogfp on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.