All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Columbia B-XP Eagle with Aluminum Horn, Almost Gone on e
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:41 pm 
Victor V
I'm Feeling Cranky
brianu wrote:
what does the XP stand for in the model designation?

"P" = Polished nickel. Note the governor weights, as distinguishing between a polished nickel plated model, and the unplated weights found on the unpolished model.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:59 pm 
Victor V
on instagram and twitter as "oncedeadsound"
fran604g wrote:
brianu wrote:
what does the XP stand for in the model designation?

"P" = Polished nickel. Note the governor weights, as distinguishing between a polished nickel plated model, and the unplated weights found on the unpolished model.

Best,
Fran

so extra polish? just want to make sure I've got the lingo right. my type B is the same, bright reflective nickel plate on everything, including the governor weights.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:01 pm 
Victor III
If you don't mind, please post the serial number. I think that George Paul is keeping a database on these machines.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:15 pm 
Victor II
George posted an ad for this model in one of his threads, it's just listed as a Model B, and the ad stated you could get it nickel plated for the extra $$. Same as Edison listing nickel or gold plating for extra $$

The "XP" label is like starting to list nickel or gold plated Edison machines with a new model name.

Chuck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:24 pm 
Victor V
I'm Feeling Cranky
ChuckA wrote:
George posted an ad for this model in one of his threads, it's just listed as a Model B, and the ad stated you could get it nickel plated for the extra $$. Same as Edison listing nickel or gold plating for extra $$

The "XP" label is like starting to list nickel or gold plated Edison machines with a new model name.

Chuck

It's been my understanding that all Model Bs were nickel plated, but the polished nickel plated machines were only offered for a very short period.

Am I wrong?

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:41 pm 
Victor II
fran604g wrote:
ChuckA wrote:

Chuck

It's been my understanding that all Model Bs were nickel plated, but the polished nickel plated machines were only offered for a very short period.

Am I wrong?

Best,
Fran

Your correct I forgot to add the "Polished" descriptor.

Chuck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:33 pm 
Victor III
Raphael wrote:
Thanks to all of you for the nice comments. I was surprised that it didn’t sell for more, of the four that are in my collection, this was the nicest. I’m glad it went to a Forum member,

Raphael

I was also surprised that it did not go higher. I didn’t think that I had a chance. It will be treasured and thank you for making it available.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:22 pm 
Victor II
Django wrote:
Raphael wrote:
Thanks to all of you for the nice comments. I was surprised that it didn’t sell for more, of the four that are in my collection, this was the nicest. I’m glad it went to a Forum member,

Raphael

I was also surprised that it did not go higher. I didn’t think that I had a chance. It will be treasured and thank you for making it available.

It might have gone higher if it had an original 10" nickel horn instead of the aluminum horn. They are harder to find and much more expensive.

Chuck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:02 pm 
Victor II
Django wrote:
If you don't mind, please post the serial number. I think that George Paul is keeping a database on these machines.

George will verify but I’m pretty certain this one is in the database already. It is indeed a beauty and not easy to find, especially in this condition. You can see mine in my avatar. I love these little machines. I have been lucky since I have owned 4 and recently found yet another. But, it has some explaining to do since it doesn’t fit into the known parameters. I wil get some pics and start a new thread about it soon.
Joe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:03 pm 
Victor Monarch Special
Who is John Galt?
Here's the November 1898 catalog description of the "Nickeled & Polished" Eagle:

Attachment:
EagleN&P.jpg
EagleN&P.jpg [ 110.73 KiB | Viewed 151 times ]

For many many years, this was the only reference I could find regarding this machine, other than an item in the Music Trade Review for August 6, 1898. Nowhere could I find any documentation of the "BXP" nomenclature.

In his landmark book, Hazelcorn's Guide to the Columbia Cylinder Graphophones, Howard Hazelcorn described the Eagle, as well as the "nickeled and highly polished" model "...known as the 'BXP.'" With no reference offered, and after years of being unable to confirm period use of this label, I concluded that it was a latter-day moniker. About a year ago, I discovered that I had been wrong.

In Shawn O'Rourke's fine reprint of Columbia's November 15, 1899 catalog, there is no offering of the "Nickeled and Polished Eagle," but looking through the list of "Miscellaneous Parts and Supplies," I was dumbfounded. There were four references to the "BXP" among mainsprings, spring barrels, winding keys, and belts. These references did not appear in the 1898 catalog nor the 1900 catalog - only on the last page of the 1899 catalog. That page is reproduced below:

Attachment:
BXP001.jpg
BXP001.jpg [ 95.63 KiB | Viewed 151 times ]

So despite my earlier suspicions, the Columbia Phonograph Company indeed used the "BXP" nomenclature - however briefly. Prior to my obtaining the reprinted catalog last year, I had never seen any period usage of "BXP," and this page remains the only place I've seen it as of now.

George P.

Last edited by phonogfp on Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.