UPS CLAIM PAYMENT INFO NEEDED

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
rgordon939
Victor V

UPS CLAIM PAYMENT INFO NEEDED

Post by rgordon939 »

When UPS pays a claim do they send a check to the seller or to the store where it was shipped? On my claim for the Fireside that was busted up the store owner said he couldn’t give me the check he received on the claim and issued me a company check of his. Is this the normal way claims are paid? How do I know if I got the same amount as the check issued by UPS?
P
Rich Gordon

Raphael
Victor IV

Re: UPS CLAIM PAYMENT INFO NEEDED

Post by Raphael »

It is my understanding that the claim is actually paid to the UPS Store because they hold a separate policy. You could ask the store for a copy of the claim paperwork and/or the check they received.

Raphael

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

My hardiest congratulations to you. I have never heard of, nor received, any claim payment ever made by UPS. I thought it was a myth. I don't even bother adding insurance any longer.

colmike1
Victor III

Post by colmike1 »

JerryVan wrote:My hardiest congratulations to you. I have never heard of, nor received, any claim payment ever made by UPS. I thought it was a myth. I don't even bother adding insurance any longer.
I received a damage refund on a Carryola portable they destroyed last year, but it took forever and a lot of badgering!

rgordon939
Victor V

Post by rgordon939 »

colmike1 wrote:
JerryVan wrote:My hardiest congratulations to you. I have never heard of, nor received, any claim payment ever made by UPS. I thought it was a myth. I don't even bother adding insurance any longer.
I received a damage refund on a Carryola portable they destroyed last year, but it took forever and a lot of badgering!
Did you get a check directly from UPS or did it come from the store owner?

Rich Gordon

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

I just went through a UPS horror story. I sold my last early Edison shaver and too was damaged. UPS totally botched the claim. They ended up denying any responsibility. I could fill a couple of pages of details but don't want to bore anyone. It is USPS or FedEx from now on.

cweastlick
Victor II

Post by cweastlick »

I refuse to use UPS anymore because of damage they have caused and deny any responsibility. One phonograph I shipped was damaged and the buyer threw away the packaging, not realizing it was "evidence" so UPS basically said, "sorry! no evidence, no pay." I have had better luck with the Post Office.

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

rgordon939 wrote:
colmike1 wrote:
Did you get a check directly from UPS or did it come from the store owner?

Rich Gordon
If you look at the return address, that's who will get the payment. If your name is there, it will be you, and if it's the "UPS Store" it will go to them. I'm not sure how actual UPS stores work, but if the payment is going to the UPS store, and since you pay them for that service, they should pay you right away and wait for UPS to send them the payment. I would think that would be part of the reason anyone would do business with them. I have had pretty good luck using UPS stores, but I've probably been pretty lucky. Good luck with that one now. Earl.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

UPS has a thing called the "Pack and Ship Guarantee" which says that if they pack and ship the item, and it arrives damaged, they will pay the stated amount, no questions asked. The idea behind it is that they can pack better than you can, using all new and proper materials.

Of course we here all know that we can pack our specialized stuff better than they can...you know, separating motors from wooden cabinets, etc. So what you can do is pack your item to the correct phono hobby standard, then present them with the result, for them to pack and ship per the requirements of the program.

For example:

- Take the motor and top works out of an Edison Home.
- Wrap the motor properly in a big bundle of bubble wrap, taped securely.
- Float that in a box of styro peanuts, taped securely.
- Do the same for the topworks, and for the empty case and lid.
- Present the resulting three secured boxes to the UPS store and ask them to "Pack and Ship" them in a single larger box.

I did that with a big honkin' heavy-ass Columbia BC and it worked like a charm, and was cheaper than any available alternative other than Greyhound, which was too scary.

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Post by briankeith »

Request a photo copy of the check he received.