Rebuilt Orthophonic Reproducer in Frederick MD

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
maryland1634
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Early Red Label Victrors Wanted!

Rebuilt Orthophonic Reproducer in Frederick MD

Post by maryland1634 »

Out of my travel range!
Hopefully of interest to someone closer.

https://frederick.craigslist.org/atq/d/ ... 00291.html
Attachments
IMG_20180224_142217659.jpg

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: Rebuilt Orthophonic Reproducer in Frederick MD

Post by OrthoFan »

Just my two cents, but while it looks like an excellent job was done rebuilding it, I personally think the $425 price is a bit optimistic, considering the fact that it's a common pot-metal Orthophonic reproducer, most likely culled from a portable. (It's certainly not "ultra rare" as the seller claims.)

It's about what you might expect to pay for an all-brass Orthophonic sound box in very good condition, or a very good condition small to mid-size complete Orthophonic Victrola, for that matter.

OrthoFan

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

OrthoFan wrote:Just my two cents, but while it looks like an excellent job was done rebuilding it, I personally think the $425 price is a bit optimistic, considering the fact that it's a common pot-metal Orthophonic reproducer, most likely culled from a portable. (It's certainly not "ultra rare" as the seller claims.)

It's about what you might expect to pay for an all-brass Orthophonic sound box in very good condition, or a very good condition small to mid-size complete Orthophonic Victrola, for that matter.

OrthoFan

I agree about the price but what you’re paying for here is really Walt’s work, which isn’t cheap but is exceptional.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Nothing wrong with a pot metal example, if the pot metal is excellent, which this one appears to be. Yes, the downside is that it's for a portable.