California Walnut Victrola XVI

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Django
Victor IV

California Walnut Victrola XVI

Post by Django »

Not mine. Looks like a real nice example. If I was local, it would be on it's way home.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332576785163?ul_noapp=true
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg

OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: California Walnut Victrola XVI

Post by OrthoSean »

That's a beauty. I see the correct albums sitting off to the side yet no mention if they're included in the sale unless I missed it. It would be a shame to see them separated from the machine after all these decades.

Sean

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

This eBay seller listed this last week - - stripped of most of its gold-plated metal parts (door knobs, crank, escutcheon, etc.)! He didn't get a single bid, despite all the "gilded age" and "deco" prose.

It is indeed a beautiful machine! :)

George P.

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

Buyer beware on this one... some shots show a relatively complete machine, others show it stripped of all hardware, one shows plastic bags of hardware, listing says “most gold trimmed metal hardware included”... those two open doors on the back are odd, and the finish looks off, strangely dark on the flat panels - lid, sides, doors, back.... as if coated with something... I’d want to see something like this in person, and would definitely want to buy it that way rather than rely on a game of chance regarding what might ultimately get delivered to my house if purchased from a distance.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

brianu wrote:Buyer beware on this one... some shots show a relatively complete machine, others show it stripped of all hardware, one shows plastic bags of hardware, listing says “most gold trimmed metal hardware included”... those two open doors on the back are odd, and the finish looks off, strangely dark on the flat panels - lid, sides, doors, back.... as if coated with something... I’d want to see something like this in person, and would definitely want to buy it that way rather than rely on a game of chance regarding what might ultimately get delivered to my house if purchased from a distance.
It is a pick up only, so inspection should be available. The finish may just be old wax build-up and some crazing. The back doors are a mystery. Maybe Victor made some special cabinets like this Walnut one so that they could be used for either VV or VE machines. Just a theory with no data to back it up. I just think that it is a thing of beauty. I love the carvings on the front columns on that variant on the XVI.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Django wrote: I just think that it is a thing of beauty. I love the carvings on the front columns on that variant on the XVI.
I agree. The first phonograph I ever bought with my own money was this variant of the XVI, and I still have it. As a matter of fact, there's an article on it in the March 2018 issue of The Antique Phonograph...which I was hoping would arrive in today's mail...but it didn't. :(

George P.

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

It also has an improved concert reproducer, which is surely a bonus. I personally prefer the L door XVI to the later one but I really like these carvings!

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

brianu wrote:Buyer beware on this one... some shots show a relatively complete machine, others show it stripped of all hardware, one shows plastic bags of hardware, listing says “most gold trimmed metal hardware included”... those two open doors on the back are odd, and the finish looks off, strangely dark on the flat panels - lid, sides, doors, back.... as if coated with something... I’d want to see something like this in person, and would definitely want to buy it that way rather than rely on a game of chance regarding what might ultimately get delivered to my house if purchased from a distance.
There are two different listings for this same machine with two different prices. It appears to not have a turntable.

Something odd going on here for sure.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

gramophone-georg wrote:
There are two different listings for this same machine with two different prices. It appears to not have a turntable.

Something odd going on here for sure.
They were selling it in 2 configurations, complete and stripped. I guess that would suit a buyer with a destroyed cabinet. It’s a little odd, but as a local sale, I would still take a look. You don’t see one like that every day and $500.00 still seems reasonable to me. It’s a long way from New Hampshire and I just got a Walnut VV-120 on Sunday, so this will have to be someone else’s treasure.

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

I've never seen a listing with knobs and exterior gold trim as extras. Why!