California Walnut Victrola XVI

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: California Walnut Victrola XVI

Post by phonogfp »

GregVTLA wrote:I've never seen a listing with knobs and exterior gold trim as extras. Why!
I suspect the seller was hoping to squeeze out every dime he could. ;)

George P.

downsouth
Victor III

Post by downsouth »

I have an early walnut XVI like this one that is a crank version. It too has the doors on the back.

Wes

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

This seems to be one of those erratic people. Now he wants $3500.00 for the machine.

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

Only $3,500? What a steal! I wonder how much extra the gold trim is? :lol:

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

GregVTLA wrote:Only $3,500? What a steal! I wonder how much extra the gold trim is? :lol:
He had it listed at $500.00. It didn't sell. He re-listed it at $500.00 and has increased the same listing to $3500.00. I don't know what is up with this guy. Too bad. It looks like a nice machine.

oldphonographsteve
Victor II
Personal Text: I'm the guy that found the fault in asphalt

Post by oldphonographsteve »

brianu wrote:Buyer beware on this one... some shots show a relatively complete machine, others show it stripped of all hardware, one shows plastic bags of hardware, listing says “most gold trimmed metal hardware included”... those two open doors on the back are odd, and the finish looks off, strangely dark on the flat panels - lid, sides, doors, back.... as if coated with something... I’d want to see something like this in person, and would definitely want to buy it that way rather than rely on a game of chance regarding what might ultimately get delivered to my house if purchased from a distance.
The two back doors are original to very early Victrola XVI Type E's. I can attest to the originality of these doors as my relative's family heirloom XVI type E from 1912 has the very same doors on the back. I have an XVI Type E from 1913, however, which does not have these doors. It appears they eliminated them sometime early in the year. Anyhow, this is a great machine. Too bad the price was raised.

Stephen

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

Django wrote:This seems to be one of those erratic people. Now he wants $3500.00 for the machine.

I asked him. He apparently “found out” that it was more valuable than he had thought.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Now we get to watch him "find out" that he has more "finding out" to do!

Phonolair
Victor III

Post by Phonolair »

I guess if you don't want the gold hardware you can get it for $100 less. Two auctions for the same machine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VICTOR-VICTROL ... 1438.l2649
VIC 16.jpg
Larry Crandell

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I think this is a burled American Walnut machine. $3500 is really steep for this. The "bargain" for v$3400 is a real joke. If the complete one was Circassion(Spelling)? Walnut, that price wouldn't be so bad. We all know how rare and expensive Circassian Walnut is. Just my observation.
Harvey Kravitz