3 machines at "Antique Archeology" Nashville

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
ColoradoPhonograf
Victor II

3 machines at "Antique Archeology" Nashville

Post by ColoradoPhonograf »

I stopped in at the "American Pickers" store today to look around. I was surprised to see 3 horned machines sitting there. Two were Standard machines (Columbia client). One had a blue horn (original paint), finish was dirty dusty, but could clean up pretty nice. It was marked $750
Standard Blue.jpg
The second Standard had a repainted horn (barn red) and quite a bit of veneer lifting / and missing off the motorboard. Didn't see the crank $750
Syandard Red horn.jpg
The third machine was a rear mount Vic E. It was quite dirty but had a pretty decent finish under all that dust and grime. Very nice straight original paint horn with good decal. Didn't see a crank for it $800
The photos show the dust, the horn may appear to have dents, but it was just dust marks. ID tag is missing which seems odd.
Vic E.jpg
Vic E horn.jpg
Vic E decal.jpg
I have no association with the store or the show, I watch it every week and thought it was fun to finally see some machines show up. Not sure which episodes they got these from or if it has even aired yet. I saw a 36" Nipper dog (Paper mache) in the store last year, the episode where they picked it was shown on tv about 5 months later.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: 3 machines at "Antique Archeology" Nashville

Post by Phonofreak »

The prices are way too much for these machines. Nicer machines go for a lot less.
Harvey Kravitz

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

"American Pickers" currently airs on UK Freeview Channel 12. I may have missed this episode as I only watch it occasionally.

Marty Bufalini
Victor II

Post by Marty Bufalini »

epigramophone wrote:"American Pickers" currently airs on UK Freeview Channel 12. I may have missed this episode as I only watch it occasionally.
In my opinion, the reason you didn't see it is probably because these were purchased off-camera. I stopped watching the show because it drove me nuts at the junk they would buy while they seemed to bypass all the good stuff I was seeing in the background.

Well, I learned why after some collectors I know had the boys over to their place that, apparently, they make their best deals off camera. It doesn't at all surprise me that these machines are over-priced. I really believe that in many cases those two millionaires have no idea as to value.

Stephen_Madara
Victor III
Personal Text: www.glassphonohorns.com

Post by Stephen_Madara »

sorry to inform you but they do sell quite a few items out of the shop for well over their market value. they are selling to people who want to say look what I bought from the shop of the American pickers and don't care how much they spend......

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I suspect Stephen is correct. We stopped in the Iowa store along the Mississippi several years ago and were disappointed. We found the majority of their sales were t-shirts and ball caps. Jerry B.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Jerry B. wrote:I suspect Stephen is correct. We stopped in the Iowa store along the Mississippi several years ago and were disappointed. We found the majority of their sales were t-shirts and ball caps. Jerry B.
I think they sell a great deal of stuff to clients who want the "Rust" aesthetic

Hailey
Victor III

Post by Hailey »

I have known Mike Wolfe since long before he was beamed into your living rooms. Mike is a marketing genius. He has scoured the countryside uncovering rare motorcycles and related items for his collection, and taken advantage of his travels, hence developing the concept of "American Pickers" and "Antique Archeology". In the end, he has became a wealthy man. And FYI...in the shops, he is able to display some of his personal items...sell a few rusty relics for maybe a few bucks...move a butt-load of t-shirts...continue to promote the TV shows...pocket a dime now and again...and maintain a tax advantage as he continues to build the rarest motorcycle collection on the planet.

So...I ask you...who has it all figured out? Mike Wolfe, or the phonograph collector who drives 300 miles to an auction, spends 80 bucks on gas, another 50 on food...stands in the cold for six hours, and has everyone in the crowd be his audience in him spending eight hundred bucks for a rusty Victor III with no horn?

Benjamin_L
Victor III
Personal Text: Honk, honk.

Post by Benjamin_L »

From the few times I've gone to their store it's always externally overpriced for nearly everything.

I suggest to go over to the Marathon Motor's museum next to them instead.

downsouth
Victor III

Post by downsouth »

I've tried calling them and emailing them in regards to something I had seen on the show and only got an answer once.

Wes