Edison London Console LC-38, Bridgewater, MA CL $40

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Victor VI

Edison London Console LC-38, Bridgewater, MA CL $40

Post by 52089 »

This has been listed for quite a while and the price has dropped quite a bit. You'll need a reproducer though.

Not mine.

https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/atq/d ... 56232.html
Attachments
00202_lpNdFmGeEcF_1200x900.jpg

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Re: Edison London Console LC-38, Bridgewater, MA CL $40

Post by marcapra »

I'd buy it in a flash, but I'm in So. California!

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

I like these London Consoles too. Nice and light style. But the grilles are NEVER in the right position. Seriously. I’ve never seen one of these in the hands of a non-collector with the grilles in the right direction. At least this one is 50% correct :lol:

(for those interested the grille on the left is correct).

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Yes you are right. Both knobs are supposed to be in the middle. If I remember correctly, the grilles do not swing out like doors. The knobs make you think they do, but the grilles just come off like a regular grille. I think the record storage in on the top left. Marc.

colmike1
Victor III

Post by colmike1 »

Record storage is left front. Horn is on the right. Left side top does not open.

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

I saw a LC like this in my local antique store. I didn't buy it, but I watched it and it was there for a few months. Every single time I went in (once a week) the false door/grille on the right was on the floor. People apparently tried to open it, ripped it off, then left it on the floor. I'd put it back snuggly every time. Finally it sold (I assume).

In my experience, people today can't comprehend false doors/knobs on furniture. It's so completely alien to them. A few years ago I sold a really nice near mint Zenith 60s hi fi that was too large for me to keep and it had fake doors on the front. The top opened immediately above the doors, the turntable compartment was sunk down several inches. The young couple I sold it to just couldn't comprehend that the doors were not real. Obviously, I told them, the turntable components are behind them, the space behind the doors was occupied with that, and that it came from the factory that way. It took them a long while of staring at it and I don't really know if they were ever convinced. They kept tugging at them. It was hilarious to me.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Disagree on the fake doors thing - check out almost any newish kitchen, and you will find a fake "drawer" directly under the sink, complete with handles/pulls.

It makes me absolutely crazy to see them, because it is so obvious from even the most casual glance that such a drawer is impossible. I once saw a weird shallow tilt-out thing in that position, meant to hold a soap dish and sponges and scrubbers, but acting as a source of mess and rot instead.