VE-XVIII, Brass Victrola, Fumed VV-XVI, Treasure Box 8-30s +

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

VE-XVIII, Brass Victrola, Fumed VV-XVI, Treasure Box 8-30s +

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

I have a number of machines and Credenza parts available on Ebay you might be interested in, including those pictured below:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/victrola-monke ... pg=&_from=
Attachments
IMG_3490.JPG
IMG_3546.JPG
IMG_3433[1].JPG
IMG_3415[1].JPG
IMG_3393[1].JPG

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: VE-XVIII, Brass Victrola, Fumed VV-XVI, Treasure Box 8-3

Post by JerryVan »

Those "treasure boxes" look like they came from some decent machines. What became of the rest of the cabinets?

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

Jerry,

An obvious question that deserves an answer. Over the last 7 years I had collected every cheap and good condition empty, converted to a bar, or updated with 1960's radios Credenza, 8-30, and TL 8-30 I could get my hands on as I traveled around the country to pick up the phonographs I was really after. Additionally I picked up every cheap beaten up complete machine of the same type I could. My Sprinter van was a real asset in that endeavor, plus providing a place to rest or sleep along the trails. In the last couple years I put a few together to make some beautiful and exactly like original machines and gained some skills that proved it was all worth it to me. The most notable was a beautiful Walnut 2-door empty cabinet I picked up for only $75, though I had paid $75 later for a correct serial number ID plate. One thing very contrary to most collectors beliefs is that I found that those in the past that removed the "old out-dated guts" as they put it, were actually doing a good thing, in some cases. That's strange to hear but these are the cabinets that were kept nice and in good indoor environments. While grand daddy's phonograph was past along generation after generation and put in some tragic places to store it, as the generation's interest waned. Some of those cheap beaten up machines were previously eaten up and rotted, so most wood parts, had to be discarded. In these cases, the metal parts became very useful to either me or those I have sold them to. In other cases, deep gouges or unrepairable exterior damage provided horns and other parts either for my machines or others I've sold to. In the case of these "Treasure Boxes" the interior wood components were cut up too much to make it worth repairing and would require non-original wood components to complete. Plus the investment time and of adding the parts would make it much more valuable than I could get for the machines. So the rest of the cabinets became the parts folks needed to complete their projects. I received numerous emails from folks who have waited years for the components they were able to get from me and were able to complete their projects. Now, I am at the end of my Credenza style collecting, repairing, and off loading the parts. It's certainly a shame that every machine couldn't be saved, but what could be saved, I did my best to spread the joy. I certainly haven't and am not selling these parts because it's been profitable, it's very time consuming, I just know what its like to get that part you have been looking for so long for and am willing to do what I can for them.

-Wayne

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Wow. I wondered where you got all your intricate knowledge of Orthophonics! I guess you've seen a few! Sad what happens to these wonderful machines. Your comment on the ones that got "updated" and therefore cared for all the while longer is interesting. I saved one lately that had a HiFi turntable in it, along with an amplifier and speaker. The cabinet was too nice to ignore, and since they didn't touch the horn on any significant way, I paid a little too much for it, then invested a little too much more to put it right! Very pleased to have "saved one", so I get what you have been doing. Thanks for the explanation and for not taking offense to my question as well :)

welshfield
Victor II

Post by welshfield »

Those treasure boxes could be compartmentalized for storing sound boxes or reproducers. I have been using jewelry boxes but these could be spectacular.

Ordinarily I would not approve of this, but monkey's explanation of the circumstances sounds satisfactory to me.

John

rvwenger
Victor I

Post by rvwenger »

I am one of the recipients of Wayne's parts. My VTLA is coming along nicely. When I purchased, it had a broken foot that I was putting together a plan to re create. It was great to find he had some for sale. Problem solved. I'll post picts after it's finished.
Attachments
Broken VTLA foot
Broken VTLA foot