"Charleston" on Diamond Disc

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: "Charleston" on Diamond Disc

Post by gramophone-georg »

fmblizz wrote::o :shock: :o
Just another day in the world of record collecting, LOL. You either want it or you don't. If you want it you buck up the cash.

I've paid more for some records than most of my phonographs. Yes, I'm bat poop crazy that way! :lol:
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

I don't mean any disrespect, but why do higher prices - as in anything higher than cheap - tend to be so shocking? I know everyone wants something as cheap as they can get it... even if, once they own it, they then likely value it at a much greater price and wouldn't in turn sell it for less (I mean, everyone wants a deal but it wasn't a decent deal if you couldn't do that, right?)... but why should a record like this that typically sells for 300 to 500, as shown by prior ebay, auction and show sales, draw any shock or surprise at all? I should think that sales like this, for discs or machines or cabinets, with higher prices would be considered a good thing for anyone concerned with how much money they've sunk into this hobby, even if such prices unfortunately place some of these things out of some of our hands. frankly, I get far more concerned when a decent, if not uncommon, machine can't even sell for the value of its parts.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

brianu wrote:... but why should a record like this that typically sells for 300 to 500, as shown by prior ebay, auction and show sales, draw any shock or surprise at all?

It's because, for the rest of us mere mortals, who do not happen know what any given record typically sells for, $300+ dollars is a lot of money for a record. You're not surprised because I guess you knew that already... :)

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

JerryVan wrote:
brianu wrote:... but why should a record like this that typically sells for 300 to 500, as shown by prior ebay, auction and show sales, draw any shock or surprise at all?

It's because, for the rest of us mere mortals, who do not happen know what any given record typically sells for, $300+ dollars is a lot of money for a record. You're not surprised because I guess you knew that already... :)
I'm not much of a record person myself (mainly the machines), only familiar with certain specific things... so I turn to forums like this one for the valuable flow of information that always seems nicely, readily available. I do understand though that with discs, value can turn on a number of considerations... in speaking before with the guy from the northwest who bought that $37k tommy Johnson disc a few years back, he wasn't just buying a record, or even a rare record or a record so scarce less than a dozen are known to exist in private collections... he wanted the cleanest possible copy, and was willing to pay for it, so that he could preserve it digitally and release it on his label of cd's... sort of like what don in phila does... although I don't think tefteller would ever sell much if any of his incredible 78 collection.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

brianu wrote:I don't mean any disrespect, but why do higher prices - as in anything higher than cheap - tend to be so shocking? I know everyone wants something as cheap as they can get it... even if, once they own it, they then likely value it at a much greater price and wouldn't in turn sell it for less (I mean, everyone wants a deal but it wasn't a decent deal if you couldn't do that, right?)... but why should a record like this that typically sells for 300 to 500, as shown by prior ebay, auction and show sales, draw any shock or surprise at all? I should think that sales like this, for discs or machines or cabinets, with higher prices would be considered a good thing for anyone concerned with how much money they've sunk into this hobby, even if such prices unfortunately place some of these things out of some of our hands. frankly, I get far more concerned when a decent, if not uncommon, machine can't even sell for the value of its parts.
You and I are on the same page on this, Brian. It seems that it would be more profitable to part a lot of these machines out given the prices I see parts getting. Everyone here goes all Jihad on sellers who part machines out... I don't care for the practice myself, but I can certainly understand why it happens.

If you are going to piss and moan about machines getting parted out... step up and buy them.

I see the same thing on my German car forums... a car sits for six months for sale with 10,000 views and nothing but lowball offers, then it either gets parted or someone in Europe or Japan buys it... and the seller is suddenly branded as a traitor. Well, it's going to Europe or Japan because those boys plunked down the cash while you lowballed and whined. What did you expect?

I should just eBay my stuff like I used to but I really don't need to pay eBay or PayPal for "help" in potentially giving my stuff away. I can do that myself for free.

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

For perspective, Savoy Orpheans "Charleston" on HMV recently sold for about the same. These are the high ones, but there are many other versions which sell for ~$100.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

donniej wrote:For perspective, Savoy Orpheans "Charleston" on HMV recently sold for about the same. These are the high ones, but there are many other versions which sell for ~$100.
This is why your repro records are such a good idea and value. It hurts a lot less to wear out a $30-60 repro than a $500- 1000 original.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I have a near mint Edison DD of Charleston by the Golden Gate Orch. I don't know the take, so I'll dig it out to check. Marc.