What's this?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

What's this?

Post by epigramophone »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HMV-ANTIQUE- ... 1438.l2649

This unfamiliar (to me) machine on UK eBay resembles the "transportable" models made in HMV's Calcutta factory, but looks earlier.
The case appears to be oak, not teak, so it may not be of Indian origin.

It has a later non-HMV soundbox, easily replaced, and the doors are missing, not quite so easily replaced.

Despite having a carrying handle and metal case corners, there appears to be no means of fastening the lid other than with the lock. Not much use when the key is missing.

The machine definitely has some age and looks to have been solidly built. Does anyone recognise it?
Attachments
hmv.jpg
hmv2.jpg
hmv3.jpg

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: What's this?

Post by Phono48 »

According to the "His Master's Gramophone" book, it's a P.A.O, June 1920 - June 1922. The book illustration shows two projections in the front edge of the lid, which locate in matching sockets in the top front edge of the base, but exact details are not too clear. They are not evident on the example above. It was also known as the P.A.A.O, implying slight variations in design. Maybe those lid fixings?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I did wonder whether it was a P.A.O, but as you say there is no trace of the two push button lid catches.
There is also no trace of the block which closed the needle bowls when the lid was shut. Could this be a prototype?

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

Hi, It is a normal PAO as I have exactly the same model. The "keyhole" is actually a pushbutton to operate the lid catch so you don't need a key to open or close the lid. You can see where the piece of wood which should cover the needle pots has come off the inside of the lid.
Restoration would be expensive as you would need an Exhibition, two needle pots and a good woodworker who could make the doors and the missing needle cover. The doors aren't very straightforward as they have recesses around the knobs but at least the hinges are there !
If anyone in the UK gets it and wants to come and measure the doors on mine they are very welcome or I could send accurate photos/measurements.
Attachments
IMG_3618.JPG
IMG_3615.JPG
IMG_3614.JPG