The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Complete radio electrola in Lincoln City Oregon
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:04 pm 
Victor III
music is time travel and strings moments in time together like nothing else I know -- Kathleen Lane
I saw this awhile ago in The Little Antique Mall in Lincoln City on the Oregon coast. Nice cosmetic shape with a complete set of record albums. I do not know if it works. They are asking $825. Not sure how firm that is.

Attachments:
20180412_120829.jpg
20180412_120829.jpg [ 1.2 MiB | Viewed 583 times ]
20180412_120855.jpg
20180412_120855.jpg [ 1.3 MiB | Viewed 583 times ]
-- Dan

Visit My YouTube Channel
Visit the OTAPS Home Page http://otaps.org

Last edited by melvind on Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Complete radio electrola in Lincoln City Oregon
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:22 pm 
Victor III
music is time travel and strings moments in time together like nothing else I know -- Kathleen Lane
Contact for the store...

Attachments:
20180412_132002.jpg
20180412_132002.jpg [ 783.35 KiB | Viewed 583 times ]
-- Dan

Visit My YouTube Channel
Visit the OTAPS Home Page http://otaps.org

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:11 am 
Victor IV
Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan
I once owned one of these 1929 Electrola RE-75s. It has the same works as an RE-45, and are the last machines produced by Victor before the RCA takeover. Can sound good if restored. Very heavy. These combination radio/phonos are hard to sell in today's market though. The listed price is high if it's working and sky high if it's not. having the original book like albums is a big plus, but I never cared for that overly ornate cabinet.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:26 am 
Victor O
to own an electrola is a blessing
[quote="marcapra"]I once owned one of these 1929 Electrola RE-75s. It has the same works as an RE-45, and are the last machines produced by Victor before the RCA takeover. Can sound good if restored. Very heavy. These combination radio/phonos are hard to sell in today's market though. The listed price is high if it's working and sky high if it's not. having the original book like albums is a big plus, but I never cared for that overly ornate cabinet.[/quote
Everyone says these machines were designed by Victor before the RCA takeover.
Close examination of the facts puzzle me. The amp uses push pull '45s..the '45 was not introduced to the market until February 1929,a month AFTER the takeover
Can anyone shed some light on this..to me the sets have RCA written all over them
especially since merger talks between RCA and Victor
began in the summer of 1928.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:49 am 
Victor IV
Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan
Yes, I can shed some light on that. Victor had been using RCA amps and radios for several years before the take over. Victor was not a radio company, so they used RCA tubes and radios just like Brunswick did, but nobody calls Brunswicks RCA's. Also, the maker's plate on an RE-45 or RE-75 still says Victor Talking Machine Co., not RCA.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:26 am 
Victor O
to own an electrola is a blessing
marcapra wrote:
Yes, I can shed some light on that. Victor had been using RCA amps and radios for several years before the take over. Victor was not a radio company, so they used RCA tubes and radios just like Brunswick did, but nobody calls Brunswicks RCA's. Also, the maker's plate on an RE-45 or RE-75 still says Victor Talking Machine Co., not RCA.

Yes, My point was they were sold AFTER Rca acquired them

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:31 am 
Victor IV
victor 15-1 wrote:
marcapra wrote:

Yes, My point was they were sold AFTER Rca acquired them

in the pipeline ? Too expensive to remark?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:01 pm 
VTLA
TMF Moderator
victor 15-1 wrote:
marcapra wrote:
I once owned one of these 1929 Electrola RE-75s. It has the same works as an RE-45, and are the last machines produced by Victor before the RCA takeover. Can sound good if restored. Very heavy. These combination radio/phonos are hard to sell in today's market though. The listed price is high if it's working and sky high if it's not. having the original book like albums is a big plus, but I never cared for that overly ornate cabinet.[/quote
Everyone says these machines were designed by Victor before the RCA takeover.
Close examination of the facts puzzle me. The amp uses push pull '45s..the '45 was not introduced to the market until February 1929,a month AFTER the takeover
Can anyone shed some light on this..to me the sets have RCA written all over them
especially since merger talks between RCA and Victor
began in the summer of 1928.

My experience after having experienced a couple of mergers and acquisitions in our company is that the last thing the new combined company wants to touch and potentially interrupt is the manufacturing operations. Months and months are spent first combining and aligning the business and finance parts of the companies. If you buy another company you typically do that to benefit from whatever they are already doing, so aligning that part is usually something that happens after the companies are otherwise aligned in the months afterwards - maybe for the next model year or even a year later.

Andreas