Victrola VE-XVlll

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Re: Victrola VE-XVlll

Post by phonogal »

What a shame someone painted this. I think that red paint is going to be really difficult to remove without damage to the original finish. :(

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

The red isn't bad, as it won't show too badly if some of it stays in the grain. Yellow, or lime green and colors like that can REALLY be a problem. It looks like it's latex anyway, and acetone should wash most of it off and not bother the finish under it very much. But it will need to be refinished after that as it will still have some paint on it in places. Victor was putting a lot of finish on their more expensive machines in those years, and the fronts usually had one or two more coats of varnish than the rest of the cabinet had. And that will help keep paint out of the grain as well.

I bought a yellow L-door machine a few years ago and ended up putting black lacquer on it. Someone stripped the old varnish off before they painted it with yellow oil paint. That really made a mess of the old girl, and unfortunately with those L-door machines (the last style) there are simply too many of them out there in nice shape to get a fortune tied up into one that will never be right anyway. There is nothing scary about this XVIII as far as I can see. It should refinish and look really nice if someone spends a little time with the old girl. Whenever I see something like this (or that yellow one) it makes me wonder what the rest of the house must have looked like that something thought "This will make my front room look wonderful again" HA!

oldtvsandtoys
Victor II
Personal Text: Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk.........Why Soitenly

Post by oldtvsandtoys »

Just to let you guys know I sold it for $700 to a guy in Michigan :D