Interesting Columbia Cylinders on Ebay

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Larry Hawes
Victor O

Re: Interesting Columbia Cylinders on Ebay

Post by Larry Hawes »

I have Part 1 and Part 2 of Debs and Part 2 of Wilshire. I can attest these are spoken by the same person and that person's voice is Len Spencer. Over many years I have collected Spencer and have 41 different titles including the "Cross of Gold" Columbia concert cylinder. While he attempts to take on an air of the official person, the give away is at the pause between the parts where his voice reverts to the real Spencer, "pardon me etc" so you can then change the cylinder.
Bottom line, sure these cylinders are valuable as they provide the listener with three famous political folks from long ago (at least their thoughts) and who knows, maybe Spencer might have had a better voice :)
Being a pack rat I save everything so went back in time based on prior Forum member comments and I did find in July of 2007 the eBay listing referred to. The Debs lot went for $1700 (approx including shipping) the other two lots of three were $700 each again rounded up for a few dollars of postage.
Seller was well known collector and did indicate they were the real deal. Thanks to Tom Hawthorne (who makes my old document inventory look like grade school) who clear back in the mid 1990's reported on the facts as indicated in prior post of Member. ALL of the cylinders are Spencer.
Again, they are valuable for sure and should bring a nice return to seller. Too bad we cannot see the actual cylinders but seller represents "
“As I've already said, there are no condition issues, and they come with a money back guarantee.
Thanks”
Sorry for long post but this is why we have a Forum to share our thoughts, ideas and knowledge.
Larry Hawes

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Pictures of the actual records have now been posted on each lot. All of the cylinders have some mottled brown mold. Some are better than others. None are in "very good, crisp condition" as described by the seller.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

52089 wrote:Pictures of the actual records have now been posted on each lot. All of the cylinders have some mottled brown mold. Some are better than others. None are in "very good, crisp condition" as described by the seller.
That's too bad, because there are reasonably strong bids in play already.

George P.

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

These sold quite high I think for recorded speeches read by Len Spencer. And with mold. But I've never seen these for sale before.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

phonogal wrote:These sold quite high I think for recorded speeches read by Len Spencer. And with mold. But I've never seen these for sale before.
I sure hope the high bidders were aware of the mold issue otherwise there may be trouble for sure. I have no idea where the "crisp" condition description came from. :shock:
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

gramophone-georg wrote:
I sure hope the high bidders were aware of the mold issue otherwise there may be trouble for sure. I have no idea where the "crisp" condition description came from. :shock:
All went to the same bidder. I too hope he (she) knows what's coming.

George P.