Berliner 5" AND TWO ROYAL BERLINERS

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
soundgen
Victor V

Re: Berliner 5" AND TWO ROYAL BERLINERS

Post by soundgen »

Auctioneer sent me a picture of the 5" Berliner it's not a CD !
Attachments
aberl5.jpg

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

So from what you are saying , there was a genuine Berliner in the lot after all ! It certainly wasn't there when I viewed on Monday , possibly the auctioneers had removed it for photographs ? seems very odd -- but there was definitely an audio CD in the small cardboard envelope when I viewed the lot. Maybe they had been alerted to keep it safe separate from the other items in the lot ? Who knows !!

cmshapiro
Victor I

Post by cmshapiro »

Dulcetto wrote:So from what you are saying , there was a genuine Berliner in the lot after all ! It certainly wasn't there when I viewed on Monday , possibly the auctioneers had removed it for photographs ? seems very odd -- but there was definitely an audio CD in the small cardboard envelope when I viewed the lot. Maybe they had been alerted to keep it safe separate from the other items in the lot ? Who knows !!
Yeah.....uh huh........ :oops:

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

While I appreciate the heads up on upcoming auctions, I'm not sure I appreciate the attention to specific lots... I was thinking about bidding on this group of records after I located it in the auction listing, but now it has also had almost 600 views on this site... Not much chance of getting this at a reasonable price, kind of like "pumping and dumping" new stock market IPOs... :roll: :lol: :(
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

stevel
Victor II

Post by stevel »

Curt A wrote:While I appreciate the heads up on upcoming auctions, I'm not sure I appreciate the attention to specific lots... I was thinking about bidding on this group of records after I located it in the auction listing, but now it has also had almost 600 views on this site... Not much chance of getting this at a reasonable price, kind of like "pumping and dumping" new stock market IPOs... :roll: :lol: :(
To be honest we're all after the same things, the Saleroom has become like ebay where everyone has a saved search for 'Gramophone' or 'Phonograph'

Steve

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

Lot 2555 sold for £2,600 plus buyer's premium, which is an additional £780 or thereabouts, so total £3,380. I have it on good authority the buyer is in South America. Dulcetto

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

This lot with the 2 commemorative Berliners and the 5" Berliner made £2600 + comm = £3364

The "Trademark" made £1800 + comm = £2329

The Gram / Phonograph (a lot more complete than the one amazingly for sale this week in Scotland) made £1100 + comm = £1423

The 2 Berliner cabinets made £2300 + Comm = £2976

The 18 Berliners and other records made £ 700+ comm = £905

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

Never seen a Queen Victoria commemorative berliner for sale before.

Both the commemoratives originally had a wooden plinth and decorative boxes. The Edward VII commemorative I have seen under 200 just for the record part.

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

As Sidewinder mentions , this is the first time I have seen a Queen Victoria Berliner come up for sale at an auction. The Edward VII does turn up from time to time , I have seen several examples over the years. Complete with wooden plate ( to enable the record to be played ) and the original cardboard box , around £400. Again , I have seen several 5 inch Berliners sold in recent years , anywhere between £300 and £1000 each , I suppose depending upon condition etc. The example in this lot did look to be in nice condition from the pictures posted on this forum , although I did not view it in person. Seems the price paid for this lot was rather on the high side , but then if one has deep pockets and wants something -- that's what auctions are all about -- the man , or woman , who is prepared to spend the most money wins ! I do know that the winning bidder was prepared to go somewhat higher ! Dulcetto

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

If lot 2555 is the one with the 5" Berliner, it's heading to Belmont, NC...

Unfortunately, not to me...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife