This doesn't look right

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
outune
Victor IV

Re: This doesn't look right

Post by outune »

I'll add a slightly different version-- Mine, too, has the beveled turntable... and motor board and ID tag configured just the same a Grant's (in original post)- I have the smaller 15 inch B/B horn-- What makes Grant's so nice is the larger paneled horn that is necked down for the small elbow.. that's a tough horn to find. Really nice machine, Grant!!

Brad Abell
Attachments
DSCN2075.JPG
DSCN2075.JPG (137.03 KiB) Viewed 676 times
DSCN2077.JPG
DSCN2077.JPG (137.02 KiB) Viewed 676 times
DSCN2076.JPG
DSCN2076.JPG (136.73 KiB) Viewed 676 times

Fonotone
Victor II

Post by Fonotone »

Ah, shucks -- thanks, guys! But now you're making me feel guilty for not keeping it.

--Grant
Visit TechnoGallerie -- Antique Phonographs & More

http://www.technogallerie.com

A Museum Of Science & Invention Where The Exhibits Are For Sale

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Fonotone wrote:Ah, shucks -- thanks, guys! But now you're making me feel guilty for not keeping it.

--Grant
You always find such lovely examples.
Just keep the next one that comes along :)

Steven

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

The first Victor I was actually based on the Victor Royal, and the earliest were equipped with rigid arms.
I understand the Victor I replaced the Victor Royal in the Victor lineup. But was it anything more than a similar cost position in the lineup of machines? Visually and mechanically there is no similarity between the R and I. With other Victor machines it is easy to see the visual transition from one model to the other. For example, it is easy to see the similarity from the Victor E to the Victor II or the Victor M to the Victor III.

The Victor R with rigid arm is a rare and unusual option. Your quote suggests the possibility that the early Victor I was offered with a rigid arm. I know the late Victor R was offered with the rigid arm but was the early Victor I offered with a rigid arm as well?

I think part of the confusion was caused by the Victor Advertising Department. Isn't it true that ads referred to a particular machine numerically while the actual machine featured in the ad was labeled and identified by a letter. For example, an ad might say "Victor the Third" and the machine in the ad was a Victor M. And later the Victor M transitioned to the Victor III.

This is what makes collecting so interesting. Thank, Jerry Blais

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Jerry B. wrote:
I understand the Victor I replaced the Victor Royal in the Victor lineup. But was it anything more than a similar cost position in the lineup of machines? Visually and mechanically there is no similarity between the R and I.

The Victor R with rigid arm is a rare and unusual option. Your quote suggests the possibility that the early Victor I was offered with a rigid arm. I know the late Victor R was offered with the rigid arm but was the early Victor I offered with a rigid arm as well?
Absolutely, mon ami!

As shown in Phonographica, here is the first incarnation of the Victor I (at the top of the page; click to enlarge):
From "Phonographica" by Fabrizio & Paul.  All Rights Reserved.
From "Phonographica" by Fabrizio & Paul. All Rights Reserved.
A couple of pages later, another original Victor flyer shows the introduction of the Victor I discussed in this thread:
From "Phonographica" by Fabrizio & Paul.  All Rights Reserved.
From "Phonographica" by Fabrizio & Paul. All Rights Reserved.
George P.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Thanks George, I've learned something new! Have you ever seen a Victor I in the R type case that was actually tagged as a Victor I on the ID plate?

Jerry Blais

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Jerry B. wrote:Thanks George, I've learned something new! Have you ever seen a Victor I in the R type case that was actually tagged as a Victor I on the ID plate?

Jerry Blais
Hmmm... I don't think so. I'd expect the company would have applied the same marking logic to the R/One as it did to the E/Two, M/Three, etc.

Here's the first R/One I ever saw, as it appears in Discovering Antique Phonographs:
From "Discovering Antique Phonographs" by Fabrizio & Paul.  All Rights Reserved.
From "Discovering Antique Phonographs" by Fabrizio & Paul. All Rights Reserved.
(Sorry my scanner or Windows seems to have cut off the bottom of the page, but you get the idea...)
George P.