Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

2,200 Euros for a Fireside?

Post by Curt A »

Seems like wishful thinking to me...
https://www.ebay.de/itm/EDISON-FIRESIDE ... 2350631162
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Raphael
Victor IV

Re: 2,200 Euros for a Fireside?

Post by Raphael »

Guido has been selling phonographs for over 40 years. He knows what he is doing, provides a complete, honest and comprehensive service to his many customers throughout Europe, indeed the world, and has his fingers on the pulse of the marketplace. While the price may be somewhat high, there are many “buyers” looking for a discount, which this leaves him the opportunity to do.

Raphael

guido-phonograph
Victor Jr

Post by guido-phonograph »

Curt A wrote:Seems like wishful thinking to me...
https://www.ebay.de/itm/EDISON-FIRESIDE ... 2350631162
Hello Curt !
What to say ?
Indeed Euro 2200,- would be wishful thinking if this was offered in the USA.
But please take your time to read the following and judge again.

I travel to the US in order to buy phonographs for my European customers. I always try to buy nice, original and clean phonographs and i do not get them for free.
After that I carefully pack them and ship them to Europe. ( I have not found a shipper yet who ships to the other side of the world for free )
At arrival in Holland there is Mr. Customs who inspects all my purchases and who presents an invoice with import duty and Taxes to be paid on the spot. Welcome to Holland.
I am always extremely happy if there are no damages but since I do my own packing that is hardly ever the case.
Of course I will have to clean , oil and service all phonographs before I can offer them to my customers. I will have to take pictures and make a you-tube file in order to put them on Ebay
or other internet sites like my own one http://www.phonograph.com. You are probably not aware of the fact that the Euro 2200,- is an asking price and that collectors never pay the asking price,
they always want a firm discount. Now lets say I have sold the phonograph than everybody is congratulating me ! It starts with Ebay who wants 10 % followed by Paypal with 4,5 % and what would you think of the Dutch Gouvernement who wants 21 % sales tax. Than I have to pack and send the item to my customer whom I only charge a part of the shipping cost. Packing is free.
What to say ?
Euro 2200,- wishful thinking ?
Are you aware that the Dutch Cheese is much cheaper here in Holland than in the US ?
Regards,
Guido from Holland http://www.phonograph.com
Attachments
melba-001.jpg

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Hi Guido:

Other markets are far different on "common" USA items. Customers are no doubt happy to pay your prices in Europe because all the work that causes them not to buy is already done and included in the price.

Years ago when I sold on eBay, I had a run where I would buy suitcase portable gramos cheap and restore them and list them with worldwide USPS shipping included at about 4X what they were going for here in top condition. All of them went to three collectors in Japan who were happy to get them looking great, ready to play, with no extra shipping costs. I must have sold 20 or 30 of these.

It's all in knowing your market.

But enough of that... tell us 'Muricans what that gramo and cabinet you're posing with is. It's a beauty!
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

But enough of that... tell us 'Muricans what that gramo and cabinet you're posing with is. It's a beauty!

The Gramophone looks like a Melba with matching cabinet.
Harvey Kravitz

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

My comment was not meant to be disrespectful... only a surprise that a fairly common machine would be priced that way. ;)

I am aware that Guido sells unique and high end machines to a specific market, just like Raphael... but, this machine doesn't seem to fit into that category. Obviously, the Melba does...

Again, I was not criticizing anyone for trying to get whatever price they want... If you guys know the market and this seems reasonable, by all means "go for it"...

Further, it is none of my business if you ask whatever price for any particular machine and I hope you get your asking price, since it tends to indicate that the market may be recovering.

However, I just wish you would share your buyers list with us, since I have a bunch of machines that need to go for above market value... :lol:

PS: I wasn't aware of the price difference of cheese in Holland vs. the price in the USA... probably since I don't eat Dutch cheese. :roll:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

bart1927
Victor II

Post by bart1927 »

Curt A wrote: PS: I wasn't aware of the price difference of cheese in Holland vs. the price in the USA... probably since I don't eat Dutch cheese. :roll:
You really should try it. It's good stuff. Nothing beats a nice piece of 48+ Gouda ;)