Would this be a player worth purchasing?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
michaelphoenix22
Victor Jr

Would this be a player worth purchasing?

Post by michaelphoenix22 »

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/55499516

Is it a decent player? And whats the highest you would go on it. I'm looking for a cheap player to play my 78s, since the original player that was used for those records is just the cabinet only these days.

This one has the advantage of being only a couple miles from my apartment, so shipping charges wont apply.

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Re: Would this be a player worth purchasing?

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

The portable phonographs have their advantages, but also drawbacks. If it were my choice, I would keep looking for a Victrola (floor model or table model). Yes, it would cost a little more, but it would be more worthwhile. If space is an issue, go with a table model Victrola. In what area of the country are you located?
Don

michaelphoenix22
Victor Jr

Post by michaelphoenix22 »

Madison, Wi

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

Should be a fine machine to play your period (late 20s-mid 30s) discs on. It has the #15 soundbox, which is a good one (and likely will need some freshening up with new gaskets and isolator and the like). These are similar to the HMV 101 model and are nice-sounding portables. Only thing I notice is the crank escutcheon is missing and the "feet" for the bottom of the cabinet. From the description, it appears the motor is working, but "working" can be relative. A spinning turntable doesn't always mean it's working properly, but these issues, if present, can be addressed. All in all, if you can grab it for around $50-75, you'd definitely, IMHO, have a good deal on your hands as well as a solid, good-sounding portable. Just my two cents - others will have further suggestions, I'm sure.
Last edited by CharliePhono on Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

It's a bit of a drive for you, but the price is negotiable.
https://rockford.craigslist.org/atq/d/v ... 77205.html
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

audiophile102 wrote:It's a bit of a drive for you, but the price is negotiable.
https://rockford.craigslist.org/atq/d/v ... 77205.html
That's a good deal as is. You don't often see the early XI with vertical record storage.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I agree with CharliePhono - if you don't over pay that portable is good. UK and European portables were often built to perform well because many people had no space for a large machine, American portables were usually built for convenience because everyone had a large machine & portables were just for picnics and teenagers.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

When viewing the machine, take a record with you and ensure that it plays all the way through without rewinding the motor. Cleaning and/or replacing the spring is not a job for the beginner, and can be expensive to get done professionally.

I always use a worn record which will impose increased drag on the motor and expose any weakness in the spring.

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

picture...

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

CharliePhono wrote:Should be a fine machine to play your period (late 20s-mid 30s) discs on. It has the #15 soundbox, which is a good one (and likely will need some freshening up with new gaskets and isolator and the like). These are very similar to the HMV 102 model and are nice-sounding portables. Only thing I notice is the crank escutcheon is missing and the "feet" for the bottom of the cabinet. From the description, it appears the motor is working, but "working" can be relative. A spinning turntable doesn't always mean it's working properly, but these issues, if present, can be addressed. All in all, if you can grab it for around $50-75, you'd definitely, IMHO, have a good deal on your hands as well as a solid, good-sounding portable. Just my two cents - others will have further suggestions, I'm sure.
Nothing at all like an HMV 102 :lol:

http://www.windupgram.co.uk/102.htm
Attachments
a102.1.JPG
a102.1.JPG (154.36 KiB) Viewed 1633 times