Would this be a player worth purchasing?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Re: Would this be a player worth purchasing?

Post by CharliePhono »

soundgen wrote:
CharliePhono wrote:Should be a fine machine to play your period (late 20s-mid 30s) discs on. It has the #15 soundbox, which is a good one (and likely will need some freshening up with new gaskets and isolator and the like). These are very similar to the HMV 102 model and are nice-sounding portables. Only thing I notice is the crank escutcheon is missing and the "feet" for the bottom of the cabinet. From the description, it appears the motor is working, but "working" can be relative. A spinning turntable doesn't always mean it's working properly, but these issues, if present, can be addressed. All in all, if you can grab it for around $50-75, you'd definitely, IMHO, have a good deal on your hands as well as a solid, good-sounding portable. Just my two cents - others will have further suggestions, I'm sure.
Nothing at all like an HMV 102 :lol:

http://www.windupgram.co.uk/102.htm
I have edited my post to reflect that the Columbia is similar to the 101, which was what I meant to write. "Similar to" does not indicate "exactly like," and I find your laughing emoji snarky.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

CharliePhono wrote:
soundgen wrote:
CharliePhono wrote:Should be a fine machine to play your period (late 20s-mid 30s) discs on. It has the #15 soundbox, which is a good one (and likely will need some freshening up with new gaskets and isolator and the like). These are very similar to the HMV 102 model and are nice-sounding portables. Only thing I notice is the crank escutcheon is missing and the "feet" for the bottom of the cabinet. From the description, it appears the motor is working, but "working" can be relative. A spinning turntable doesn't always mean it's working properly, but these issues, if present, can be addressed. All in all, if you can grab it for around $50-75, you'd definitely, IMHO, have a good deal on your hands as well as a solid, good-sounding portable. Just my two cents - others will have further suggestions, I'm sure.

I have edited my post to reflect that the Columbia is similar to the 101, which was what I meant to write. "Similar to" does not indicate "exactly like," and I find your laughing emoji snarky.
Lighten up Charlie don't be so touchy is that a California thing ? or are all Americans oversensitive ?

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

CharliePhono wrote:
soundgen wrote:

at least your not an ass ! :lol: Stubborn :lol:
Attachments
astub.jpg
astub.jpg (69.73 KiB) Viewed 540 times

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

Hee-haw! :lol: :lol:

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

CharliePhono wrote:Hee-haw! :lol: :lol:
yo !